Other Vincent Models

Villiers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm very curious to know the survival rate of the batch of Villiers powered machines the factory made back in the desperation days of the early 30's.
According to Phil Irving's autobiography the factory first tried the ordinary 250 air-cooled Villiers engine of the day in one bike but found it lacked stamina. They followed this up with a batch of five bikes using the water-cooled version of the same engine, apparently with great success.
Have any survived? Are any still on the road? Do they come out to play?
So far all I've seen is one rather poor photo which brought to mind the old saying, "ugly as a robber's dog".
All and any info gratefully received.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that you are referring to the 'Model W'. If so then there was one, or most of one, in the late John Lumley's collection. I remember seeing parts of it in his house. There are others in this club who will have more definite information than I have but I think that there are at least two surviving examples of this model but I have no idea where they are now.

nkt267

VOC Member
I'm sure I saw a 'W' at Stafford a few years back, I was talking to Jaqueline bickerstaff about it.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm very curious to know the survival rate of the batch of Villiers powered machines the factory made back in the desperation days of the early 30's ..........
......... Have any survived? Are any still on the road? Do they come out to play?
So far all I've seen is one rather poor photo which brought to mind the old saying, "ugly as a robber's dog".
All and any info gratefully received.
I think the Coventry Section had a "W" on display at the Stanford Hall Founder's Day. It was 3 or 4 years ago and I don't know the name of the gentleman that brought it along. He wasn't a local member.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I found the picture of the "W" I took at Stanford Hall.
model w.JPG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
According to what info I have, the factory records lists 21 model W water cooled machines. I have info on 4 survivors, but there could be more out there. I know of a possible fifth survivor but don't know the numbers off the machine....yet.
Regards
Simon
VOC Machine Registrar

Villiers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
According to what info I have, the factory records lists 21 model W water cooled machines. I have info on 4 survivors, but there could be more out there. I know of a possible fifth survivor but don't know the numbers off the machine....yet.
Regards
Simon
VOC Machine Registrar
Thank you all for your replies and particularly the photos. It does look a lot better than the photo I initially mentioned and the rarity shelf photo is even more interesting.
Can I ask some further questions?
Firstly, both Excelsior and SOS also catalogued machines with the same water cooled engine. The upper water connection from head to radiator was a one piece casting on the Excelsior, whereas SOS installed a rubber hose insert. How is it on the 'W'? Solid or with a length of water hose as per SOS.
Secondly, the engine number prefix ID on the Excelsior is RYEF, does the Model 'W' use the same or different?
Thirdly, the flywheel on the rarity shelf engine does not appear to be a Villiers factory item. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot from a sad obsessive Villiers nut.