Misc: Charging Systems Open D Electrics advice please

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am going to upgrade my electrics on my open D.
It is currently running 12v positive earth with a Vreg regulator rectifier,coil ignition and an 8 amp hour motobat battery which is new.
The dynamo looks to be the original Lucas converted for the regulator.

First of all the dynamo has anyone any advice on removing and servicing the dynamo?
Is this something I should consider looking forward working fine charging but still making a wee whining nnnn
Visual inspection with the cap off the armature looks good although the brushes are in good order they do not move freely in the holders.
Space looks tight for replacing the dynamo with an alternator any advice greatly received.
Purpose is to have a robust ignition system or long distance touring.
I may fit an electric starter over the winter so looking to make the system future proof.

Coil advice would be good, I have replaced the leads,rotor arm, points and distributor cap recently.
I run Champion plugs no resistor with no resistor caps should I change the caps?

Learning my way with the new fangled 12v system.
Any advice greatly received.
Thanks
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
The whine is possibly the teeth of the dynamo sprocket too deeply engaged in the primary chain its a tricky setting but documented here (use the search top RH)

Speedtwin

VOC Member
The whine is a strange one when ignition turned to on, a little whine starts,engine not running as if the dynamo is trying to motor.
Turn over the engine whine goes away, sometimes comes back.
Brushes are sticky but all connections inside the dynamo are good.

The battery fitted at this time was 3.8 amp hours and with the Vreg should be min of 5 amp hours was wondering if this was the cause.
Noticed the amp meter showing a pull at the time.

Thanks for all your input enjoy Goodwood.
Not making it this year as we are off to enjoy the coming good weather riding to Crookhaven in West Cork trip delayed by life.
I am looking forward to seeing Michael Dunlop raking the MV 3.
Good way of telling how well put together a machine is a grand raking.

Tell Ben to enjoy the Matchless and all the best, does he know who his riding partner is yet?
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
The whine is a strange one when ignition turned to on, a little whine starts,engine not running as if the dynamo is trying to motor.
Turn over the engine whine goes away, sometimes comes back.
Brushes are sticky but all connections inside the dynamo are good.

The battery fitted at this time was 3.8 amp hours and with the Vreg should be min of 5 amp hours was wondering if this was the cause.
Noticed the amp meter showing a pull at the time.

Thanks for all your input enjoy Goodwood.
Not making it this year as we are off to enjoy the coming good weather riding to Crookhaven in West Cork trip delayed by life.
I am looking forward to seeing Michael Dunlop raking the MV 3.
Good way of telling how well put together a machine is a grand raking.

Tell Ben to enjoy the Matchless and all the best, does he know who his riding partner is yet?
Al
https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/threads/goodwood-2023-here-we-come.19696/page-4 post #35

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Chris says, Rutland Dynamos are very good. Overhauled the Comet dynamo and checked over the mag.
Gives advice over the phone, highly recommended.
As for the distributor, the twin runs a wasted spark system which eliminates the cap and the rotor arm.
But you have to change to a dual output coil. ( check the primary resistance) It’s been trouble free for 10 years and a few miles.

Last edited:

Paul Adams

VOC Member
The way forward have the majority of owners going for an Alton alternator, a high capacity battery and possibly taking the top off the cam in the Lucas distributor, fitting a flush cap and using a twin spark coil. One from a Honda 400/4 works perfectly.

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
perhaps you lot know this one (UK mainland): rex's speed shop.
got my LED bulb, Lucas E3L revision kit and (negative earth) regulator here (they've got positive earth too, have a look around).
the bulb works great, draws about 0.3A when switched on both low and high beam.
the E3L field coil is supple enough to "mould" it into shape, comes with the iron core screws but the head angle needs adjusting on the lathe.
and the regulator is a nice small unit, guesstimate it would under the original Miller houding? not sure but it might sound like its the same as a podtronics unit?