A: Oil Pipework OP9/2 oil delivery quill - damaged?

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
this brass Oil Delivery Quill OP9/2 looks strange to me, as if s/o had hard-soldered (brazed) an extension on to it.
Sould I replace with a new one, or can I re-use it? Oil is freely flowing.
Thanks Joe OP9-2_Oil-Delivery-Quill_M.0.18__0.jpgOP9-2_Oil-Delivery-Quill_M.0.18.jpg

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It looks a bit worn that's all. Below is a brand new one I have. You can see that the 1/4x20 threads on the new one are sharper and better defined than on your one. Given the price they are and/or how easy they are to make, if you have any doubts I would replace it. The wear on the the 1/4x20 thread comes from where it rubs against the inside surface of the crank shaft and acts as a scroll seal to help force the oil to the big end bearings.
Steven

100_3084.JPG

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Steven,
thanks so much for quick response - I now understand its functions -:)
Looking at my quill I was initially wondering if there were additional oil-holes between the outer and inner threats - but from Your new piece I can clearly see, there are none.
Will decide next week wether I make a new one or just re-use it.
Happy Easter
Cheers Joe

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you install a new one, which I would recommend, have a look at the end of the crankshaft. If someone used an improper puller to remove the timing side crank bearing, it is possible that the end of the crank is damaged which in turn could potentially damage the quill.
Do you know if the timing cover is the one that came with the engine... as in matching numbers? Not knowing exactly how they were machined at the factory, it’s just a guess, but the hole for the quill (in the timing cover) may not be concentric with the crankshaft. No idea as to if or how far out they can be, but the timing covers were numbered for a reason. Perhaps someone else can expand on that or debunk the theory.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I certainly think that you are right in saying that sometimes the crankshaft does not run concentric with the quill, the quill is a fairly good fit in the crankshaft, if it is out a little it can leave a polished witness mark on the brass quill, where the inaccuracy originates from I could not say for certain, but an unmatched cover could well be a good starting point.

vibrac

VOC Member
Did I read somewhere that Mr Surtees spent a lot of time in this area using non standard items?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
This quill thread has reminded me of a I have a few questions, I have about the quill arrangement, if anyone knows.
1: Why did PEI or PCV choose to use the quill to deliver oil to the big ends rather than the bush or garter seal arrangement as seen on Triumphs and BSAs?
2: I wouldn't think the quill is unique to Vincents, but I don't know of any other make that uses such an arrangement, does anyone?
3: Has anyone ever made a main shaft with an extended end that fits into a bush or garter seal arrangement in the timing cover similar to the way Triumphs and BSAs do?
4: Has anyone ever enlarged the bore of the main shaft to accept a larger diameter quill which carried an O ring?
Steven

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Peter,
I wouldn't think it would either. But the idea occurred to me that someone might have tried it and I was curious what the results might have been.
Steven

Cyborg

VOC Member
I vaguely recall someone putting an O-ring on one or someone was selling them? Personally I wouldn’t bother given how much oil the big end wants. As long as the end of the crank is ok and the cover isn’t out of whack, then should be sufficient supply