Once in a lifetime Vincent find.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I remember my story in post #9 pretty well, but Carleton's story has a lot of detail. Maybe George rode that open D and it was the bike that was unreliable for him.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
Thanks, I am short on the documentation side. I am better on the oral history.

I checked with Carleton Palmer, who told me the story years ago. The bike was advertised for sale in Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY. Carleton headed over to buy the bike and as he was pulling into the drive he saw Nick Pierce's van. Nick was pushing the Egli into the back. Carleton looked over the bike and it was Sal Defeo's bike from Ghost Motors. Sal had sold the bike to the gent in Mt Sinai and now the gent was selling it to Nick. This was probably early 1981.

According to Carleton, Nick took the bike to the National rally at Nelson Ledges in 1981. While there, he sold it to George Emmerich. Carleton thought it had been taken apart because it never surfaced over the years.

David

I have an article from an old issue of STOP that talks about the accident. I also found a for sale ad for the ghost bike but in the ad it lists EV10, so not sure if they by chance had multiple Eglis or perhaps George owned multiples?

Attachments

• A5D590BC-2127-4602-800D-9512B75FD507.jpeg
    A5D590BC-2127-4602-800D-9512B75FD507.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 35
  • BFB34AEE-1A27-4AB6-8D97-6CED0F4C5988.jpeg
    BFB34AEE-1A27-4AB6-8D97-6CED0F4C5988.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 36

davidd

VOC Member
I have an article from an old issue of STOP that talks about the accident. I also found a for sale ad for the ghost bike but in the ad it lists EV10, so not sure if they by chance had multiple Eglis or perhaps George owned multiples?

Those items are great. I think they tie up some loose ends. I think the seller made a mistake on the number and the wrong number proved to be more memorable. I remember asking Nick what the number of his Egli was and he was not sure, but he remembered "10". I think the mistake by the owner gained some precedence over what was on the bike. For example, when Carleton looked at the bike he would have thought it was "10" and would not have checked the frame. I think this confusion was caused by the seller and not George.

I see that the front fender has been trimmed and the damage might have looked daunting. The fiberglass tank may have leaked, etc. It makes more sense to me as a road crash as the damage seems minimal.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I don't know that this was truly George's bike. It would be nice to have some documentation. I believed that the bike had been taken apart because that was his habit. It is fantastic that the bike exists and is so well preserved.

EV5 was very fast. It was tested in the Cycle Sport test and did a top speed of 132 mph with a 0-60 time of 4.3. That was pretty good for 1969.

David
exactly the same speed as my Slater Egli recorded on the norwich straight speed trap at a bantam club meeting I guess in the first year after Roger started selling them I put a bikini fairing on for the next weeks BEMSEE meeting I know it was faster because I ran out of road but there was no speed trap :(

timetraveller

VOC Member
130/132 sounds about right for a bike fitted with what looks to be early concentrics. Unless modified these maxed out one and three sixteenths bore. To put this into context I once did 140 mph at the end of a half mile sprint at Long Marston on a bike I had ridden to the meeting. This was not a speedo reading but rather taken from the chronometric rev counter as I crossed the finishing line. I must have under geared slightly and 7,000 rpm was showing over the line. Chronometrics have a slight lag and working back through the gearing gave speed of 140 mph, possibly slightly more allowing for the lag. This was with inch and three eighths Wal Phillips fuel injectors, remember those? Later Roy Robertson on his stroked and bored Egli achieved just under 170 mph at a timed run on a speed testing day. This is with almost everything done to the engine that can be done and with a copy of a 'George Brown' fairing which I had made on the front to give extra streamlining. There was some confusion and Roy sat up before the end of the timed run and had it not been for that he might well have achieved the 170 mark. So speeds around 150 mph are not achieved easily.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is there a photo of this bike's 'EV number'?
Seems the EV5 vs EV10 question could be easily resolved.
I can confirm this is EV5 as Whiteshadow15 provided me with photos of all the numbers off the bikes & parts when he asked what the bikes & parts were when sorting the collection.
Simon
Machine Registrar - Vincent Owners Club

evcomet

VOC Member
I never meant to cast doubt on the claim of the EV number. But discussion here raised the question. Seemed that a photo of the number of such a significant find would be part of the documentation.
@Whiteshadow15, I never meant to question your veracity.