E: Engine Oil Tank Breather Advice

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Al,

The timed breather, which is stock, is timed to move air out and prevent it from coming in. Have you investigated the timing?

The mist and dampness may be telling you something. It might be that your atmospheric breather, which lets air come in and out, is taking the crankcase air from an unusually oily location rather than a location where most of the oil has been precipitated out. Most often it is telling you that you need to replace the worn-out rings or valve guides that have become accustomed to allowing lots of air to pass into the crankcase.

David

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Engine is oil tight with good compression looks to have had a rebuild few years back.
Oil misting around the rear of the oil tank was a very messy area I have cleaned it up, sourced a leak were the chain oiler was blanked off make shift.
Now have shares is S DOC what a fantastic product.

Have a plug ordered for there.
Drilling the oil cap out a little bit more to vent the tank.
Fitting a splash guard on the cap.
Further investigations will take place into the two breathers fitted,timed and front cap.
Search for nrv if fitted.
If not fit one or get blanking.

Lack of oil on the floor, engine work looks to have been completed correctly I suspect past owner loved to ride hated to clean just like myself.

Simon is forwarding me details of the machines past history, which I gather has been in the ownership of club members in the past, might be worth trying to speak with them, might need a good medium or a contact number if there still alive..
Would love to find out about the past rebuild and what was carried out as rebuild records with the bike are sketchy.
Thanks for all the great guidance and advice.
I greatly appreciate all the fantastic input from you all.
Al

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Afternoon,
Quick update so I have found timed breather piped to left rear of the bike has no non return valve.
Front spring box fitted with breather cap piped to left rear of the bike again no valve.

Questions:
Should I remove one ?
Should I retain both and fit a valve on the top one to negate draw back?
Or should a fit non return valve to both?

What worked well for you?

Meantime I have sealed the chain oiler correctly with a sump plug good job.
Drilled the oil cap breather hole out to 3mm.
Tanks Al

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Afternoon,
Quick update so I have found timed breather piped to left rear of the bike has no non return valve.
Front spring box fitted with breather cap piped to left rear of the bike again no valve.

Questions:
Should I remove one ?
Should I retain both and fit a valve on the top one to negate draw back?
Or should a fit non return valve to both?

What worked well for you?

Meantime I have sealed the chain oiler correctly with a sump plug good job.
Drilled the oil cap breather hole out to 3mm.
Tanks Al
On my Rapide the front exhaust spring cover has a hose fitted with a non-return valve. I have blocked off the timed breather.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Update,
Blanked off the chain oilier breather with a sump plug direct to the tank, great job, having had some oiling to the rear of the tank I discovered when I removed the female part of the breather/chain oilier that it had been professionally bunged off with a dollop of what appeared to be chewing gum..

As I admired my handy work I inspected the main oil feed pipe from the oil tank by giving it the usual wee tug and wiggle to my surprise it came off in my hand!
Fortunately I had the oil drained, ah the joys of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
One more job to add to the list.

I take it when the ferule is crimped on to the rubber pipe were it joins the solid pipe it is not supposed to be a slip fit?
Only bonus is that it came off in my hand, oil drained and not running.
The damage minimized rather than when thundering down the back straight..

So what advice would I give a person about to purchase a motorcycle?
Buy it check everything tighten it all up and then ride it..

Oil tank cap drilled.
Non return valve fitted to the top front breather off the spring box.
Timed breather tested and working fine, Valvoline is an acquired taste.
Timed breather now blanked off and once I fix the lubrication pipes and lines will test it all out.
Al

b'knighted

VOC Member
So what advice would I give a person about to purchase a motorcycle?
Buy it check everything tighten it all up and then ride it.
With a Vincent I would not automatically recommend tightening it all up, Safer to slacken then tighten correctly.
Many Vincents have everything over tightened already by people using overlength modern tools.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Sorry was just a quip, having bought a vintage Harley some years ago I rode it home 300 miles, incident free.
The next day started to strip down for inspection and was able to undo everything including the axle nuts with my fingers..
Should know better.
In my defense the weather was fine roads dry and support van with lots of tools and recovery was behind me.

I agree on my Vincents I have backed them all off and torqued to spec.
Re checking after each run.
Yes I have found some bikes that must have been owned by Desperate Dan,there is nothing worse than over tighten fasteners.
Heart stopping squeals and stretched threads...

Al