Oil return

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello everyone,
I drained the oil tank from my Comet Serie A to change the two collars on the go and return oil pipes (because a little leak). Operation without difficulty or problem and I redid the oil level. I run the engine 15 'and no more leak on both pipes.
On the other hand, the drip of the oil return seems very weak and ejects oil smoke. Should I worry? Would I have defused the pump? How to check that the oil circulates well?
Thanks.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The suction line from the sump to the pump must be airtight. If it is not it will just suck air from outside and no oil return. On the other hand if you are getting oil smoke it could be there is no oil to return. Did you drain the sump, if so it might just be waiting for some oil to show up to be pumped back to the tank.

Did you refill the tank :)

Robert

Michel

VOC Member
Hi Robert,
Yes, I filled the oil tank well.
No, I did not touch the sump in the bottom of the engine, I only drained the oil tank.
Michel.

Michel

VOC Member
The mystery grows and worries me.
I ran the engine again and there is no more drop on return, only oil vapor. However, I only drained the tank and filled, all in 20 minutes. What is going on ?

vibrac

VOC Member
How long did you run it for?
I know on the rollers when starting a bike for the first time even with all the oiling drill I peer into the oil tank and wait and wait getting more and more anxious, but it comes out in its own leasurly time,,,,

greg brillus

VOC Member
I personally never do an oil change on any of these bikes without having a quantity of oil in the bottom of the crank case before engine startup. Probably not as easy to do on a pre-war as a post war engine due to the lack of inspection caps, but you can still get some in there somehow. This ensures the pump can return something quicker than on an empty sump.

Michel

VOC Member
I specify that there is an anti-sumping valve on the go of oil. I will check this side.

Michel

VOC Member
Yes, this is the valve that prevents the passage of oil. This is the A65V model sold by Conway. I removed the small screw on the side and I sent compressed air in the pipe but nothing. How to unlock it?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am not sure, I don't like the things, But I think it's about priming the pipe with oil, Why not just take it off ?.
Good Luck, Bill.