Oil loss through breather pipe

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Norman, I am in complete agreement. It was Toms theory that I was defending, not an attempt to justify his results, and I do not seriously think that metering wires are necessary, and are possibly ill advised, as the ET100/1 feed bolts apparantly have smaller holes than the ET100 that they replace. I respect Toms findings but feel that the metering wires are not the reason his oil leak has stopped and I would be interested to see what happens if he removes them. I have had a quick look at old and new ET100 bolts, and certainly on the examples I have, the holes in the modified items are much smaller. I will measure them and report back.
John

Last edited:

tjcassar

Non-VOC Member
Hi, After John explained in detail the design features of the twin start pump, I now understand how it works. Your point as to how to recognize the effects of the twin start prompts me to confirm that mine is a single start pump. I am rather surprised how slow the pump returns oil from the sump. I would say that the rate of flow is less than say a 500 single like an Ariel Red hunter. I can try to measure the rate of flow on tick over maybe some data exists as to how much this should be with the engine warm!! But then, different oils give different results. I would say mine gives a blob of oil every two seconds on tick over engine cold.
So, with a single start pump and no wires in the little holes. Now the question is, should I put the 20thou wire or not?? The hole is obviously larger than 20thou, mine probably is around 30thou. I know this as I have removed one bolt off the exhaust rocker and managed to place a 20thou piece of wire easily inside. Does this say anything?? Thank you for your support. Tony

tjcassar

Non-VOC Member
Hi John,
If one can measure them, then I would know which type are fitted in my bike and act accordingly. A great idea. Well thought. I will then decide whether to fit the wires or not.
Nice day to all Tony

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi tony,
one way to get some use out of your bike whilst developing your knowledge and confidence of the the dark mystery of the timing chest, is to aquire an alternative breathing system ie a eliphant trunk from russell kemp, a mac read system ,or one of the breathe valve kits that conway motors advertise, all tof which do away with the timed breather, and convert the bike to an atmospheric breather . From what you have been saying it would seem to me that your problem could be more to do with the actual timed breather either not being timed correctly, the sleeve of the breather being badly worn, or even the breather spindel being incorectly fitted in the crancase wall,
. My reason being that one of the symptoms of an engine that has problems clearing the crancase of oil is a smoking exhaust, and you say your exhaust is clear.
Can I add to your list of highly recomended reading for vincents the workshop notes for vincents avilable from the spares company allso Bruce main smiths book Vincent- H R D ISBN 0 950241253,
Hope this helps,
another norman [stumpy lord]

John Appleton

VOC Member
Tony, I have now measured two original ET100 feed bolts and can confirm that the holes in them both are 0.031" diameter. I can see where a confusion may creep in as the holes in both of them are stepped. The outer diameter that is visible is actually 0.040 and reduces to the 0.030 further in. The recently supplied ET100/1 also has a 0.030 hole, so whilst the information I was given in 1985 may have been true then, it no longer seems to be the case. It would seem to me that you should check that your oil holes are in fact 0.030, and then fit the 0.020" wires if you so choose. I must confess that the argument for removing the wires to increase the oil flow to the cams and followers seems to me to be a waste of time as the amount of extra oil passing where a thin piece of wire used to be is going to be minimal. I do not have the wires fitted in my engine, as they were removed in 1985 and I have had no trouble since.
As Stumpy so rightly says, if your trouble was being caused by excess crankcase oil, you would no doubt have a very smokey exhaust. I think all of this confirms that you should continue riding and enjoy the experience.

tjcassar

Non-VOC Member
Hallo Norman,

I have taken on board a suggestion by Tom and ordered a G50 PCV. I will need to find a place and way to fit it but will try that first.

I will have a look at the book you suggest and order it. Thank you for your suggestion.
Tony

tjcassar

Non-VOC Member
Hi John,
Thank you for measuring the little holes. The ET100 and ET100/1 seem to be very similar so I need to decide whether to fit the wires or not. I have an inclination to leave things as they stand since I am still running in the engine and some extra oil does not hurt. Of course, some does get outside the engine but seems to be reducing as the miles are increased. I will report progress once I return from a rally in Torino Italy end of the month.
Cheers Tony

John Appleton

VOC Member
Tony, I have been thinking about this again and am working out if there is likely to be an advantage in fitting one metering wire to the front exhaust rocker only. I am trying to decide if there is any way an increased flow in this area could be thrown forward by the front cam shaft and flood the breather assembly, thus causing a leak. It could possibly explain why Petes bike initially threw out an excess of oil, and why Toms wires cured his problem. I may very well try this out when I have fully thought it through, but in the meantime I am sure others will put me right and tell me why it wont work.
John

tjcassar

Non-VOC Member
Hi John,
I suppose nothing ventured nothing gained!!!
I will await other possible confirmations or critics then decide. I must say, I was tempted to try this on the ones I could reach easily and see if there is an improvement but am too new to suggest it myself. I suppose that if I put the wire on say four of these holes!! then it should reduce by half if the theory is correct. If there is NO change then, I will remove them.
Cheers Tony