Misc: Oil Oil leak from UFM

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've had a couple of leaking tanks........one from corrosion at the bottom side, and another leak from the rear weld joint were the T 29 screws into on the right rear........not easy things to fix given the oil saturated area.

vibrac

VOC Member
So long as I cannot see the bar in the tank on my road bike I dont top up the tank I certainly dont do it if she has sat in the garage for a day or so. you need to be sure the sump hasent filled up
incidentally if you have a twin start oil pump and you ride hard oil will get out of the cap. Ben on the Goodwood racer always had sligt weeping even with a shield inside, this breather was the only solution (JE front end stems are oil tight :))
1699115271332.png

erik

VOC Member
I would like to say that I don`t know somebody with a dry sump engine who has never overfilled the tank ! I did that with my Commando ,Bonneville and of course with my Comet! The advantage of the Vincent design is that all the oil will flow over the whole engine.On the Triumph you detect it on the oil inframe modells when you open the filler plug ,Surprise.On the Commando the oil escapes through the ventilation of the tank .Erik