Misc: Oil Oil leak from UFM

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Finally rebuilt my Dad’s Comet from the ground up. Did a couple of rides round the block, then a 25 mile, followed by 75 miles and yesterday 170 miles. All at running in speeds and nut bolt checks between each ride.

After the first rides except for a spot of oil on the ground from the gearbox output shaft everything is oil tight and the bike feels really good.

On returning from the 75 mile ride I checked the oil which had not seemed to have gone down and in anticipation of a longer ride topped it up. Arriving home from the 170 miles there is some oil on the front of the back mudguard and left side of the swing arm although it must not be much as the oil level looks the same as when I set off. Tracing the oil up there was a drip from the UFM return pipe (bolt is tight and sealed) and some oil against the throttle cable where it sits against the UFM.

Removing the tank showed a trace of oil coming from the filler area all heading to the left side of the bike. It’s hard to see if it has come from under the cap or the weld - the paint seems intact around the weld.

The oil level in is about 1/2” below the base of the filler pipe (I couldn’t see a cross brace when filling initially). The cork seal in the cap is rock hard.

Is it possible that the returning oil is reaching up to the cap and leaking past the cork seal although I don’t think this was this happened on the earlier rides. There was a little oil on the left side of the RFM after these rides but up put this down to the weep from the gearbox output shaft, maybe it wasn’t.

50% of the ride was very bumpy. Could it be possible for the oil to splash up an under the hard seal? This is my favourite but asking here just incase I'm missing something.

This was defiantly not sump oil coming up and overfilling the UFM - did that when I first got the Vin from Dad years ago.

Any suggestions please

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suspect you've overfilled the UFM and its' splashing about near the filler cap. It may pay to empty the UFM and look for the bar. Re-fill using only 5 pints and note where that level lies for future reference. I keep mine around 1/2" below the bar - more than enough for general use.
Regards, Terry.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
John McDougal suggested stuffing a clean strip of cloth around the oil filler neck and the tank. Pack it in snuggly and go for a good long ride. See if the rag has oil on it when you get back. This should indicate if any oil is coming from the cap or somewhere else.

John Cone

VOC Member
It is possible that there was some old oil left in the bottom of the crankcase, you've then topped up the tank and when you have ridden it the pump has scavenged the crankcase and now it's overfilled the tank and pushed it out of the cap.. happens occasionally on my "D".

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you are only 1/2" below the filler neck you have far too much in, the cross brace a long way below that.

I've just been and measured and mine is 2" below the bottom of the filler neck.

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm normally quite logical but the thought of a leaking UFM filled me with horror but it looks like I overfilled it. Good idea about draining and refilling with 5 pints. Will also put a rag round the filler neck as a double test.
One other question, pretty much everything is new in the engine (re machined crank by Maughans). How many miles before changing oil for the first time?

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
On new engines I recommend that owners change the oil after 500 km's (300 miles) and no more........then ever 1000 miles thereafter.

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Based on 300 miles oil change I'll lower the oil level and fit a new cork oil cap gasket, run 30 miles and cross fingers that it was over filling. Then change the oil by which time the roads will likely be salted so to bed for the winter.
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: