• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

G: Gearbox Oil Leak Between G3 and G4

erik

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
My Rapide is leaking oil between G3 and G4. The bushes are OK. What can I do? A Grosset starter is mounted! Erik

greg brillus

VOC Member
You can make up a thin tube and push the G 17 bush inward slightly enough to install a thin section "O" ring that is held up against the bush with the spring and spring cup G 26. This may help, but it is most likely from the oil level being a little too high.

craig

VOC Member
You can make up a thin tube and push the G 17 bush inward slightly enough to install a thin section "O" ring that is held up against the bush with the spring and spring cup G 26. This may help, but it is most likely from the oil level being a little too high.
What is the correct gearbox oil level to stop leakage at G3/G4?
Is a special revised length dip stick needed?
G106dipstick.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
The minimum level is around one liter.........the factory spec was 1.2 liters.........I generally have the bike upright, and the level showing at the very bottom of the stick. Some bikes loose oil here and some not so, you wont know until its all together and get some miles on it.

craig

VOC Member
Erik, What was your fix for this G3/G4 leak please?

G3G4Leak1.jpg

And what was the total wine consumption to find correct cork for kickstart bore?

Last edited:

erik

VOC Member
Three corks in the bore for the left side kickstart.You have to grind the corks a Little bit in Diameter and you have to boil them to make them soft.I used Chianti classico superiore from Fattoria la vialla , Toscana , Italia. Regards Erik

craig

VOC Member
Three corks in the bore for the left side kickstart.You have to grind the corks a Little bit in Diameter and you have to boil them to make them soft.I used Chianti classico superiore from Fattoria la vialla , Toscana , Italia. Regards Erik
So, not leaking at G3/G4 rather oil from primary was flowing down the kick start shaft bore?

erik

VOC Member
It was no oil from the Primary drive ,it was Motor oil. Maybe the case is pourous in that area or the crankcase halfes are not oiltight. what Counts is that it is a clean bike now.Erik

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories