Oil filter arrangement on twin

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On my Series C shadow, I seem to have a curious oil chamber/filter arrangement. See attached photo. I'm not sure on the correct arrangement here (as I only have the one Vincent and in photos all this is hidden under the magneto cowl), but on my bike there is a separate cylindrical steel container bolted on to the timing side, about 1.5" OD, with a 2.5" feed pipe to the timing drillings, and the filter inside. Total length of cylinder assembly is about 3.75". From the drawings (MO32), it looks like the original chamber is cast into the timing side crankcase. Is this right, or is there a separate chamber container - in which case what is the part nos for this? Anyone ever seen anything like the setup I've got? Any idea what the filter assembly might be from? I need to find a replacement filter and not sure where to start.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 128

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
You appear to have a severe modification of the standard oil system. The oil filter chamber is cast insitu behind the BT-H mag someone has fitted.since it has oil fed to it it must have a return flow somewhere, so that is an extra hole to plug to get it back to the original configuration. This gets worse the more i think about it.
You may have to look furthur inside the timing cover to investigate the arrangement of the external oil pipe . i suggest you remove the large brass cap
to the right of the mag and look inside. Is there one ? This is where the filter and associated pressure relief valve should live.The BT-H mag is an early model, with a boss engraved BT-H. This may cause difficulties removing the large hexagon chamber plug. although a large box spanner should do the trick. Plugging the extra holes may involve a complete engine strip. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Ken looks to have it correct, that is a very strange set up. It looks as though the extra filter housing is off an LE velo.
Perhaps the original filter chamber has a damaged thread, and this set up is to get round that. John.

Ducvelo

VOC Member
More info - oil filter assy

Thanks, that's helpful. I think that the whole original oil chamber has got machined off, there is no brass nut or container. This new filter sits right under the magneto (incidentally it's a modern BTH that I've fitted) in the space where I imagine the old filter was. This replacement filter is connected to the timing feed by a tube - normal bango nut etc is all there on timing cover. I've taken a photo from right underneath, which also shows the feed coming from what I guess is the oil pump delivery (but can't get the thing to upload now on the site!).
No idea why this mod was done - having just talked to the previous owner it must have been done over 40 years ago. Actually, looks like it's quite a good job that's been done, but who knows why - perhaps it was in a bad smash. Helpful to know it looks like an LE filter - any idea who stocks spares for these. Also, any views on any particular throughput volumes - will the smaller diameter filter restrict flow?

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 69

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Dave Hills knows of a D Shadow which has had it's oil filter chamber cut off and has an add on modern filter. The bike has high mileage and run like that for decades with no problems.
Cheers, John

timetraveller

VOC Member
I also know of at least one racing engine where the original filter has been replaced with a modern screw on filter as used in most cars nowadays. No problems at all.

davidd

VOC Member
The original oil chamber looks like this:
100_2730.jpg

The big hex cap on mine is aluminum, not brass. As for the filter, it is difficult to see the cap from you photos, but you can use any paper element filter that fits in your chamber. If the filter is not the right length, you can modify the cap so when it is installed it is tight against the end. If the diameter is smaller you can also make the modified cap so it supports the end of the filter so that the element is centered in the chamber. You do not necessarily need to modify the cap, you can put a turned aluminum spacer in the camber to support the end of the element. As long as the oil surrounding the element is forced to enter through the filter paper itself and does not easily leak by the ends you are OK.

David

Ducvelo

VOC Member
Thanks all. Looking at David's photo it is now all clear - the whole original chamber has been machined away and replaced with this separate filter arrangement. As it works ok, I'll leave it be - just got to find the replacement cartridge. I'm sure the LE folks should be proud that their filter is gracing a Shadow (but maybe they'll think of it the other way round!).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello David, Like the Alloy Hex Cap, I have a couple of BAD motors, i.e. No cowls !! Did you make it yourself ? Rang a few people in the UK, Nobody seems to do them here, Cheers Bill.