oil filling up gearchange case

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Paul Richardsons book Vincent, in chapter five , page75, states that the required oil quantity is two imperial pints / which is one quart/ or one litre.

stumpy lord

But 1 litre = 35 fluid ounces, or 1 3/4 pints ?? Is it 40 gallons to a bushel ??

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Keep in mind that one Imperial quart equals 1.2 US quarts. We probably need to be specific on this forum as to which unit of measure we are talking about. Before Canada converted to metric in '82 or so, I used to enjoy the 20% better gas mileage my vehicles would get up there.

b'knighted

VOC Member
There is another, so far unmentioned, cause of oil in the kickstart cover but I'll reserve its description for the members only forum!

Howard

VOC Member
There is another, so far unmentioned, cause of oil in the kickstart cover but I'll reserve its description for the members only forum!

Thanks for the members only post Ian. That problem could have serious repercussions if you didn't know about it.

H

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Priming the oil pump prior to start up after a rebuild very important . Using the chain oiler union T 29 and a fuel line connector pipe assembly A68 AS and a 6 inch length of fuel line one can connect up to the oil entry directly into the pump port . Fill the hose with oil and rotate the motor watching that the oil is drawn in , do this several times adding more oil . A dry pump won't work .
When changing the oil , draining off the old stuff and having refilled the oil tank with 2 or more fresh quarts . With a pan beneath and the banjo bolt only screwed in a turn or so watch for the arrival of the oil at the bottom of the hose . First will come air bubbles driving out the old dirty oil , this to be caught in the pan . Only when the fresh clean oil arrives should you run in the banjo bolt , not before , ensuring the good stuff enters the pump .
And pour into the two center rocker openings via a squirt gun about half a qt. , this flowing down the pushrod tubes and flushing over the cams and rockers etc . Dry starts are a bad idea . This oil will flow down into the sump and hasten the pumps return flow arrival to flow quicker across the overhead rockers , etc . Be sure also to fill the filter chamber via the forward long rocker bolt A 22/1 in the timing cover , this speeds up delivery to the timing chest contents and through the delivery quill into the big end .
The total volume of oil will be around 3&1/2 quarts , watch after delivery is normal with some air bubbles mixed in that you do not overfill as this causes a mess ! Sid .