Oil Deflector for UFM

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I rember seeing an Outfit years ago, He used a strip of alloy as a torque arm, But when he stopped on a hill, the alloy bent and I think it locked the rear brakes on, Cheers Bill.
Bill,
Could that have been John Vane's outfit? When I later acquired his Rapide, by then solo, it was fitted with alloy torque arms. They were seriously bent and were the first items I replaced.
Hugo

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Hugo, I don't think so,The one I saw was when I worked for Conways in the 1960s, I think a few people made that mistake !! Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
An aluminum tube might work. The light torque arms can go wrong when backing the bike up, such as unloading.

The weak point on the Flashes and Lightnings was the rear brake plate. The torque arms pulled a triangular chunk around the bolt out of both of my electron plates. That is why I went to aluminum plates. When I raced the Flash I used the original front plates, but I thought better of it when I built the replacement racer.

David

davidd

VOC Member
hello David,
I stopped smoking about 6 months ago and put on about 12 kilos since then, and I wasn't a flimsy guy in the first place ( more the red baron type of guy -no pun intended Andrew). so I think it is far cheaper and easier if I go on a diet instead of trying to make an alloy steering head or similar things.
thats why I went for a 600 cc topend kit in the first place.

cheers Bernd

Bernd,

Quiting smoking was a good step, but I hope you have success with the weight. Once after the Saturday races at Gingerman, Carlton and I went to a bar-b-que put on by another racer. I was abstaining, but just after Carleton finished his first burger he asked the question: should I have another? I said "Sure" and on his way to the grill he realized what I was promoting. It did not work. We placed first and second in both races with Carleton taking the wins.

David