Misc: Oil Oil Consumption

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Should I consider 1 litre of oil to 20miles (approx) excessive, that what I managed on my D Comet yesterday morning, mind you that was with the exhaust valve tappet cover missing, lost somewhere on route, I have never seen such a mess in all my days of riding Vincent motorcycles, it is a very strange phenomenon, once I become aware of the problem, when my right right foot slid of the footrest, about 20 miles from home, not long after riding past Chequers, I thought to myself "and I think I have problems"

I had no tools with me, K1 spanner etc. stupid really, if I had, would swapping out the valve spring cover have helped things, I don't know, but my first job was to purchase a litre of any oil I could find from a filling station, top up, and then top up again on route, but back to the mess, by the time I rolled back onto my driveway my tyres were both liberally and dangerously well oiled, along with my boots, jeans and saddle, and the entire bike, front to back was dripping in oil, even the underside of the headlamp, any suggestions on how to remove oil from relatively new tyres?

Why did this happen, I can only imagine that the last time I was checking the bike over, at least 6 weeks ago, I forgot to tighten the cap up after a tappet check, this has never happened to me before in 57 years of Vincent ownership, try never to be distracted when in the middle of doing something, even a stupid incoming joke on WhatsApp is sometimes enough. So now the big clean up begins, Sue informs me that my jeans are not to go into the washing machine for fear of contaminating every subsequent wash, forever!

Most of it is just tedious boring work (in the blazing sunshine) but the tyres are of concern, is it unwise to use any solvent on them, or should I stick with detergent, which does seem fairly ineffective.

IMG_5316.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks for the suggestion Norman, I do not own one, but could probably borrow one, I do try to avoid any water based cleaners, my memory always goes back to my youth and using Gunk, even when I attempted to protect the Magneto, Dynamo and Carburettors the bike never really ran well after a cleaning session, but I guess I could direct the jet at the tyres only, but could it promote that horrible rust between the rim and tyre.

vibrac

VOC Member
Having a 1935 KSS oil on the tyre is a regular thing (Of course its R so for once I am as one with the greens), I just slap some petrol on and rub it off with an old towel. I remember back in the day when I helped the 'commonwealth contingent' at the TT and other meetings in the sixties, they raced on a real shoestring (I remember five of them in the rear of a Thames van having breakfast in a communal enamel bowl full of corn flakes, Australian tinned peaches and milk) they always painted their tyres with petrol (real petrol) saying if softens them just fine!, Knowing the ebony available then it probably did.