Oil b4 start up ? Where and type..

rapide049

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
On my Comet, which I have owed since 1956, I simply blanked off the oil feed to the barrel from the timing cover when I had a rebore and new low expansion piston about 20 years ago.
The bike has done at least 50,000 miles since including a lot of 70mph motorway cruising up to the Isle of Man with no problems at all.
It does around 600 miles per pint of Morris Golden Film 20/50 oil, which I think must be of much better quality than the oil the engine was designed for in about 1938 and I think this consumption is acceptable.
The only real change otherwise is to have a sealed exhaust valve guide fitted to improve the consumption from a previous 200 miles per pint.
Matty
Fill it up with Oil and Check the Petrol

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
There was a lot of activity on this subject on the forum in October /November 2016 concerning my Comet oil consumption - Just search "Alan Matthews Comet Oil consumption" for details on my and others information on the oil consumption issue.
As you will see, we considered porous head castings and resin sealing the head, which I carried out using a cleaned head, then treatment hot with loctite 290 to seal the pores with a new inlet sealed guide etc., also de glazed the bore
There are no significant oil leaks and this has resulted in my now 600 miles per pint.
Other riders have had similar problems and after deciding a head was porous, have only been able to fix very high consumption by buying a new and very expensive head - I decided buying the odd pint of oil was a better option.
Matty

Matty

VOC Member
This is just an additional Information about the oil hole in the bore - and not relevant to my case now because I have blocked off the feed from the timing case.
For the original design the hole in the bore has to start at the correct height to pick up the feed from the crankcase. But if it is bored straight through the barrel it comes out at the about the middle of the oil scraper instead of below it.- I found this out about 60 years ago and burned about 50 miles per pint!!
The hole through the bore liner therefore has to be drilled downwards at around 45 degrees from the outside to emerge below the oil scraper.
Matty

vibrac

VOC Member
A few barrels I have seen have an end mill say 3/16" meander up or down the outside of the bore/liner till its at the right height and then a horizontal hole however beware the meandering does not drop below the 'collar' of the crankcase mouth. best forget the dam thing