Oil Analysis

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Waste of time on old motors ?
How old / cycles should oil ideally be?
Any recommendations for testing facilities, what to expect to pay?
Thanks in advance.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Bit like a full blood picture for oil.
Looked at the oil analysis for a 1940s car race engine.
Did not understand it at all.
Comparison test was carried out on same unused oil same batch for baseline.

Report was very complicated we needed a chemist and an oil scientist to read it.
They agreed the engine was toast.
Stripped engine to see what we could salvage and found it to be grand.... loose tolerances oil burning old race engine but as good as it was when built most likely.
MMMM
Analysis was carried out by a well known fully accredited uk lab and I can confirm was a complete waste of money and time.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Bit like a full blood picture for oil.
Looked at the oil analysis for a 1940s car race engine.
Did not understand it at all.
Comparison test was carried out on same unused oil same batch for baseline.

Report was very complicated we needed a chemist and an oil scientist to read it.
They agreed the engine was toast.
Stripped engine to see what we could salvage and found it to be grand.... loose tolerances oil burning old race engine but as good as it was when built most likely.
MMMM
Analysis was carried out by a well known fully accredited uk lab and I can confirm was a complete waste of money and time.
Reflecting on a similar experience, many years ago I worked for the MOD as a vibration analyst, benchmarking new rotating equipment, including turbines, generators, ICEs, etc. ... Had a few embarrassing moments when I had diagnosed potential impending doom in typically 40+ year old equipment, only to find everything was fine when stripped down.. From these experiences, my thoughts now are that oil triboligy, vibration analysis, and other 'high-tech' diagnostic techniques are best suited to modern machines and tolerances. Some things are best left alone.

eharris

VOC Member
Waste of time on old motors ?
How old / cycles should oil ideally be?
Any recommendations for testing facilities, what to expect to pay?
Thanks in advance.
I think my comment about testing oil from a Vincent is:
Don’t ask questions you might not like the answer to!

Basically, all their stats are derived from modern machines and the chances are that your oil will be “out of spec” about 10 mins after the oil change!

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oil analysis is very popular in the marine environment however it is a trend analysis basically highlighting significant differences from historic sampling to show up areas of concern. A one of sample would be of very little use.