norvin

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm not sure about vibration, but by bolting the motor to a metal box(read ufm) I reckon it to be the culprit for aplifying the noise levels most vins have.

Rocket3

VOC Member
Carbs and head steadys

On my bike there was no way you could get the front Amal GP carb in without indenting the top tube and taking a bit out of the fins on the cylinder head.....Amal GP carbs aren't they big old boys! The front head steady is now rubber mounted to allow for any expansion and the rear is on a couple of adjustable tubes.
I am now up to the stage of stripping it all down to get the frame painted just hope ive got all of the brackets i need welded on.

R3

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just started to fit the Quaife 5 speed cluster to the mighty Norvin.

It's not quite as simple as it first seemed.

The primary drive and V3 clutch off.

IMG_0610-1.jpg

Old 4 speeder out .

IMG_0605.jpg

I got this new cluster from John Surtees company, Sports Power Ltd, 01732 865496. (not sure if this is allowed?)

IMG_0607.jpg

It seems to have all the right bits. Also a 22 tooth gearbox sprocket from the VOC spares co to give it a bit more top end .

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I dont want to appear "picky" but it looks like the kickstart quadrant needs a shim behind to stop the return spring abutment from chafing on the g-50.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you look at the picture which shows the timing side of the bike you will see some score marks on the large alloy plate (the G50) where the kick starter quadrant moves past it. That is what Roy the Mechanic is refering to. A shim would push the kick starter quadrant outwards and away from the G50.

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks. I've shimmed out the kickstart ratchet.
There is a peg that holds the return spring that protrudes out the back of the ratchet. This is the bit that has scraped the alloy plate.

Trev, What do you mean by ears on the centralising plate?
The box was working well before I dismantled it.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks. I've shimmed out the kickstart ratchet.
There is a peg that holds the return spring that protrudes out the back of the ratchet. This is the bit that has scraped the alloy plate.

Trev, What do you mean by ears on the centralising plate?
The box was working well before I dismantled it.
That would have been your original cluster, now you are going to fit a five speed box. The ears on the centralising plate are there to stop any overrun, which you will definitely not want with the five speed, there`s not too much room for that.