G: Gearbox (Other - Albion, AMC, Norton etc.) Norton kick start

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a Norton Amc Box on my Egli Comet I remember a line in a thread about kick start ratio on these boxes but cant find it. I certainly find that with my weakish kick a single depression of the kickstart does not result in many revolutions of the engine has anyone found a swap of parts or a modification to improve this ratio?

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've done a 600 Comet and a 600 Norvin both using the AMC box's, and i found it best to turn the engine a bit further than just over TDC for the start. Say if the kick start lever was in the 9 o'clock position then squeeze the valve lifter in and press the lever down towards the bottom. Let the lever return up, and then a firm kick would give an easy start most every time. The kick itself feels very different to the Burman box, and obviously the internal ratio is not the same. The Royal Enfield decompressors work very well for this set up.

vibrac

VOC Member
I've done a 600 Comet and a 600 Norvin both using the AMC box's, and i found it best to turn the engine a bit further than just over TDC for the start. Say if the kick start lever was in the 9 o'clock position then squeeze the valve lifter in and press the lever down towards the bottom. Let the lever return up, and then a firm kick would give an easy start most every time. The kick itself feels very different to the Burman box, and obviously the internal ratio is not the same. The Royal Enfield decompressors work very well for this set up.
Thanks Greg I will try that
NB: Do you mean people use other decompressors than Royal Enfields ?:D

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The decompressor I showed on here for my new Bike, Does work !.
It came from USA, And Ron fitted one to his Comet, He didn't get on with it too well, But we found it was his Mag', I got to go down there , And we fitted a "D" Distributor, After that, We found it needs a good Kick !,
But it spins free as a Bird !, And when it fires, It shuts the valve, So you just open the valve and kick, No levers or anything.
Cheers Bill.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I cannot help with info on changing the ratio, but have you considered a Commando Production Racer kickstart lever?

It is longer and obviously gives more leverage. I found it made a lot of difference on my Commando with a CR above 10:1

I think I got mine from Norvil, but imagine Andover Norton will do it too.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill that decomp button you used is the same as the ones I ran in the racer, they are very well made and work well on a bike that starts on rollers. Of the two 600's I built (actually 3 ) they used the top end kits of Terry's. One used a single spark plug and I ran the Royal Enfield decomp in the other plug hole.........This set up worked very well and super easy to use. The other ran one of the latest top end kits that has provision for a decomp valve in the center between the valve seats using a Harley type solenoid decompressor. I managed to fit one of these and it operates via a horn type button on the left side of the bars next to the clutch lever. This too works very well, even if it does seem a bit odd on an old bike......... I'm not sure a longer kick start lever is the answer, as they are not hard to kick over, only the ratio is different, the starting position is all that needs altering.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim,

I went for the whole asembly 06.3943/ASSY, but if you have the foot piece,, rubber and nut you could just buy the crank 06.3943, but to me the whole assembly does look good value for an item they will sell fewer of compared with a standard Commando, or Dommie, ES2, AJS or Matchless cranks.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't think the non folding version was available when I bought mine and I expect it is for purists who have a specific year in mind.