Norton and Vincent Weights

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is the fat front tire a result of the modern USD front forks?
It's a 120, the minimum size for the 3.5" forged alloy (8lb!) wheels. The same tire size is on the rear, however that is a dedicated rear type tire with deep tread.
I might change the profile depending on how the handling works out. So far it feels very good, stable in corners.

The tires are the same in diameter as a standard later model Commando which also uses a matching tire size front and rear, in that case 100/90/19.

I looked at a lot of different wheel and fork combinations and this one came out best for light weight and high performance.

Glen

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, Erik, a funny detail. As far as I know these Falcones had some damper cartridge in the tele , similar to later V-twins. The play in the tele could be adjusted by clamping bronce pads onto the chromed stanchions but you had to keep them greased.

Vic

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
From the rear.

Screenshot_20220329-102222.png
Screenshot_20220329-102310.png

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Are those stock side frame covers or a lightened version? Also, the heel guards look kind of heavy!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The side covers are in Fibreglass, just a few ounces each. Stock is steel, about 4x the weight.
The heel guards are about 3ounces each, very light. They are in .065" Al., skimpy but just enough to do the job.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This just arrived from overseas. A Norton friend is in the US Military in Germany. The Army mechanics replace titanium bolts as part of routine maintenance on their
IMG_20220329_143123.jpg
Blackhawk helicopters. These bolts will work just fine in an old Norton/Whatsit. I can machine and rethread them to whatever is needed.
More weight loss coming.

erik

VOC Member
I have 3.25-19 Bridgestone Battlax on the front and a 4.00-18 on the rear. I changed to 18 inch rear rim because there are more tires availible than in 19 inch.It rides perfect with this combination.As well I have a 3/8x5/8 O-ring chain fitted which needs a modification of the inner primary cover and no problem with the quaive gearbox shell .This is much more gigid than the standard !Erik

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Standard gearbox and 1/4" x ring chain on the 920. There was room for a 3/8" x ring but the 1/4" setup is 1.5 pounds lighter all told, had to go with that .
I expect it will eat sprockets fairly often.

erik

VOC Member
For 20 years the same chain with scott oiler . Adjusting chain tension maybe once! I think I did more than 50000 km that way.Erik