Norton and Vincent Weights

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not a stocker of course, lots of cheating, however this much Norton 920 weighs approximately the same as a Vincent twin engine.
It will need a front wheel at some point.

IMG_20220317_172820.jpg
IMG_20220317_173030.jpg

Last edited:

erik

VOC Member
I own this one since 36 years!

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 41
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 33
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 41

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Very nice 750 fastback Erik!
MK3 850 rear wheel?

To be fair to the Vincent, the complete standard Commando and standard Vincent twin aren't all that far apart in weight- about 460 dry for the Vincent and 430 for the Commando.

This one is 314 lbs dry, but it has been severely altered.
IMG_20220324_171909.jpg

Last edited:

Alan J

VOC Member
Hi Erik! I have the use of a norton-but it is a lowly very slow model 50!! It is heavy for a 350cc!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Norton Road bikes were all relatively low in performance until Doug Hele arrived and created the 650ss.
Later on he went to Triumph, where he improved the Bonneville handling and power output.
Even so, the Norton 650ss, the bike he created in 1961, continued winning against the redesigned Bonnie.
Glen

Last edited:

erik

VOC Member
Yes it is an MK3 rear hub but with an aluminium sprocket and a milled down disc and an underslung Lockheed caliper.The speedo drive is on the right side. Erik

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I own this one since 36 years!
Nice bike, a few years ago your tax disc holder could have been a big gamble, especially in the Isle of Man, "well officer, it it not actually taxed right now, but the bank note in the tax disc holder is yours if you turn a blind eye to my indiscretion.

oexing

VOC Member
Another case of individual view on aesthetics. It is a mix of various components from very different times so - just in my eyes - it looks a bit inconsistent as a whole object. Certainly not to criticise as everybody is free to do as he likes. I would not want that fat front tire , believing the ride to be somewhat "interesting" for those used to classic road feel. There was a time when 16" front rubber was cool, but you had to get used to this.

Vic

upside down tele :
Moto_Guzzi_Falcone_Sport_500.jpg