The Mighty Garage North American Vincent Motorcycle Rally - Montana 2016 - Nature Trail Track Day

Mike T

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello guys, here's a video of the Nature Trail Track Day during the 2016 rally in Missoula, Montana.

Thanks to Josh Bogage and for everyone who helped make this a very enjoyable time.

It seems so long ago now and I hope this helps serve as a nice reminder of a great time and I'm sure that many folks here will recognize themselves in the movie.

Best wishes
Mike

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Got to like that opening scene!
It wouldn't pull past about 4200 and I thought it was the carb, but following a long chat with Carleton Palmer, made a new pipe, went from 1 3/4 in X about 52" to one of 2in and 34 in, absolutely woke that motor up, first time I wound it up in low gear it hit 6500 before I could get the clutch in to shift!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Very interesting comment regarding the exhaust on the "A" single. Changing to a 2" pipe, 34 inch long yielded a significant performance boost.

M

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am also worried how much power is lost on our Road Bikes, I have played a bit with the end pipe,
I know in the old days it should end at the rear wheel spindle, But that is not good for the Road,
Because of noise etc.
I have said before, When I was Sprinting I added 6" to my home made 2 x pipes on my Twin,
From wheel spindle and it put another 1 second !! On to my 1/4 mile time,
Cut 3" off better 1/2 second, Went back to wheel spindle, Back to 13.5 seconds :)

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Martyn, it really surprised me, but I had seen CP2 run his TTR against a very fast BMW 500 twin with a good rider at Sears Point and the TTR I thought did better than the Flash. The BMW was allowed in both classes so a good back to back test. Unfortunately the TTR had a moment and DNF'd, but Carleton had it running very well indeed. Mine is running a post war 10:1 Arias piston with a 5X cam and a 1 5/32 10TT9. With the short pipe I had been using an EGR in the tail pipe and could not get a reading, after changing pipes I came to the conclusion that the turbulence at the end of the pipe might have been the problem. The problem now is of course that, even if allowed, there is nowhere around here that I can really ride it!

Just in case you didn't know the old BTH was owned by Associated Electrical Industries. They were a large conglomerate that made a wide cross section of electrical equipment from magnetos to street lights. At some point one of the corporate decisions was to change ALL their products to be branded AEI. From what I understand sales plummeted as did the money flow, and shortly after things went back to "as before". The magneto in my TTR is a base mount BTH but branded AEI. The original seems to have disappeared in the vagaries of time so the previous owner had Dave Lindsley provide this one. He was told that they had a 45 gallon barrel full of AEI branded magnetos. I have never seen a mag spark like this does. Turning it by hand just with the shaft it will jumps a spark of the HT lead well over an inch. No compression release and that lumpy piston and this bike is a one kick starter - every time! (well almost)

New pipe in process!

20161022_164851.jpg

Last edited: