H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres New tyres for an original looking Rapide.

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A friend is putting his Dad's Rapide back on the road after 18 years. The tyres are, of course, knackered.
He has tried to get Avon Roadriders but the front is a 300 x 20 and all that is on offer is the Speedmaster. Is this the only choice?
Please can anyone recommend a supplier and the options for a 20 inch rim. It's a very narrow, original rim and I'm dubious as to a 325 or 350 x 20 fitting it.

lee_812d

VOC Member
I have the Speedmaster in that size, I don't think there is much else. When those are no longer available I'll probably change my rim.

eharris

VOC Member
I couldn’t find much else, I am afraid. It is noticeable that the 20inch is 30% more expensive than the 21inch too.

erik

VOC Member
Hello Tracey! To my mind it is important what you want to do with your bike.If you only want to do short trips you can stay with the 20 inch front tyre and 19 inch rear. But if you want to exellent cornering and long distance touring it is better to have 19 inch fromt and 18 inch rear rims.There is a wide choice of tires availible and you can renew a tire on a long tour without any problems. On my Rapide I have Bridgestone Battlax and this isa modern tire with the right mixture of rubber . Regards Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think the Speedmaster is the only thing available, do remember that although they are the original design they are modern rubber compound.

LoneStar

VOC Member
There is also this:

Expensive, especially with shipping to UK - but at least available.

erik

VOC Member
Mostly chinese tyres are inferior to well known brands. For safety reasons I would no rely on chinese rubbers. But that is only my opinion.Erik

LoneStar

VOC Member
As John Healy will tell you, the Chinese will happily manufacture items at any quality level the customer desires - so it's down to the company which writes the specifications and pays the bills. But are you suggesting the Coker tires are made in China?

erik

VOC Member
I don`t know ,but I know that the Heidenau tyres are defenitly made in Germany .But i don`t think they make a 3.00-20 front tyre.Erik