H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Mystery Vincent Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eddie, I think everyone is a bit "Bent and twisted" on account of they can't go for a ride........I'm lucky enough to have shed full of these bikes to mess with....... On top of that, I've just installed the Comet engine into my race bike on the final assembly so I've nothing to complain about........... :) ............ Cheers.......Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
On this forum, non-members do not have access to all areas. The Vincent Spares Co sells to anyone but gives a discount to VOC members. I think that this strikes something of a balance. Two things that might encourage people to become club members. I personally feel that anything that encourages people to join our club is good for us as a club but on the other hand, if a non-member asked me for help I would almost certainly give it.
The other VOC (Velocette) have Velocette Spares only sell to Velocette Owners Club members, not necessarily right or wrong but a different ideology.
Also, guilty myself as found, this thread has drifted far off the mystery vincent rod topic.
I dont disagree with anything in the above Ed (I too have to join the other VOC to get bits for my KSS likewise the Scott and the Douglas) the only point I would make as has been said above it wasn't just a non -member it was a commercial enterprise

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Perhaps I am not au fait with this hip, modern use of language, but I find it hard to correlate verbs such as "pimped" to describe the actions of DJM, all he did was ask if anyone on the forum knew where this part was fitted to a Vincent motorcycle, David gave him the information that he requested in some detail, and then DJM listed the part on eBay for a very optimistic price, no one on this forum suggested a realistic price, no one on this forum is being asked to purchase the part. Perhaps armed with the knowledge of what it actually is he perhaps thought that being an original part it would be worth more than the replica parts that the Club and others sell, for one thing I doubt (but I don't know for sure) that the club brake rods have rolled threads as per original or cut threads, that could lose you a concours award, if that bothers anybody, but not me. On a more interesting point, I think the way eBay is being used has moved on a bit, it is now used in some cases to put the item/product out there in the market place, but probably for a higher price than anyone would want to pay, leave it sitting there for a while, during that time you are contactable, eBay do try to police that contact, the swapping of phone numbers and email addresses is verboten, but people find ways, and then sell to whoever, but not through eBay, avoiding sale charges. With regard to giving help and advice to others, I find it difficult to differentiate between the forum and face to face contact (if we are ever able to return to such things) if I was at a gathering of motorcyclists, and a fellow Vincent rider approached me to discuss anything Vincent related, my first question definitely would not be "are you a member of the club, because if you are not, I am afraid I am unable to help you"
Is it realistic to expect DJM to join our club, he is in all probability what we used to describe as and autojumbler, before the internet was invented, he would probably need to join an awful lot of clubs to play by the rules some of us deem necessary, this might be the only Vincent part he ever stumbles across, but if he does find a 1C engine, I would be happy to negotiate with him.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
O.K Thank you Peter for your last post which I thought was a well-judged and balanced comment. We will draw a line under this now and if someone wants to continue the member or non-member benefits can they please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.