F: Frame Mystery (to me) hole in RFM

John French

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I saw a C Shadow at a show recently that had a stud with a couple of nuts in a hole on the rear axle casting of the RFM which is vacant on my C Rapide. I don't know what was attached here and neither does the current owner. Possibly some type of luggage or ? First pic is of my bike, the hole in question is below the chain adjuster on the rear casting. Second pic is the Shadow with additional hardware. The left side of his RFM has a stud also but only one nut.

Attachments

• IMG_20150619_142202_007.jpg
    IMG_20150619_142202_007.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 140

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is this the 3/4 by 20tpi hole referred to in KTB? if so supposedly it was for an anti roll bar for a special sidecar never made . However I think it was for the pegs for the modern 1990+ paddock stands. Truly PEI was a future thinker...

greg brillus

VOC Member
The last ones of those we looked at were some "Spark plugs" weren't they..........?...........Now I can see how that could bring more than one tear to the eye as you catch the side of your leg walking past that one..............:eek:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Vibrac is right. The hole (threaded on early machines) was intended for a 'Vincent' Irving designed sidecar but remained on the back of an envelope. The hole is not a sidecar mounting hole but was intended for an anti-
roll bar, which is why the handbook says on no account mount a sidecar connection to it.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
My use for these 3/4" x 20 t.p.i. threaded holes were for securing my Rapide to the Engine Room work shop deck, turned up eye bolts to suit and eye pads welded to the deck with bottle screws, all this was after I got fed up of getting angle grinder out to cut the weld off my rear stands heavy feet that got welded to the deck each time. A couple of meetings ago with Stuart Jenkinson I mentioned that I'd traveled nearly 2,000,000 WITH my bike. The look I got was expected, then again repeated "with" my bike not ON it. I can't see my self doing another 230,000 plus to top his record as my allegiance has changed from "B" to "A" and the later is clocking up more air miles than land miles recently.
bananaman

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe that someone used that hole as a housing for a tubular security lock which held the stand in the down position with a key sounds a good idea