Multiple barn find

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok Vince, run this past your memory.

I think that in the late seventies, at an annual rally near Bristol, possibly Doddington?, I saw an enclosed D painted white. Is this just the ramblings of a disturbed mind or will I remember the distant past more clearly once the oldtimers disease has taken firmer hold?

Never heard of this one. A white C looks bad enough, an enclosed D would look like an ice cream van!

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks are due to Jerry 161 who has sent me a private message as he couldn't post this information.

I quote

"See page 123 of Geoff Preece's A1 book "A Photographic Miscellany" - Riders Rally, Rousham Hall.
At the top centre of the photo of JRO 102 you can see what looks like a white enclosed D.
It is actually a Black C which has been fitted with white D enclosures.

I would have sent this reply to the Forum but it would not accept it."

See - I'm not as daft as I think I am.

Cheers,

b'knighted

VOC Member
If I own a copy of that book, Ive put it somewhere safe.

Can anyone post the appropriate part of the picture on page 123 of Geoff Preece's A1 book "A Photographic Miscellany" please?

skunkworks

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all, I am hoping you knowledgeable fellows can help me with something. I am prepared to cop a tonne of flac for this one, but better get a bashing on here than burn a big stack of money.

This is the story. My uncle many years ago found an old fellow out the back of nowhere with a shed full of bikes. My uncle purchased a few BSA's, AJS's and Nortons from him. He also had 3 Vincents. Over 15 years ago he wanted over 10K - 15K for each.

From what my uncle tells me one is an ex side car racer, with a chrome frame (apparently that is rare). One is an ex drag racing bike. One is a restored 'White lightning'. All are V-Twins as far as I know. From my research there is no such thing as a 'White lightning' , however could possibly be a White Shadow.

Are the ex race bikes worth anything? I am more interested in this so called 'white lightning'. If it is a white lightning it would be great. Even if it was a Rapide or something painted white I am sure it would be worth something.

I am planning on making a trip to see these machines myself in the next few months. The issue is the place is a very long way from me, very isolated, and I would probably need to make a decision on the spot. There will minimal time to go online and wait for answers regarding serial numbers etc.

What advice can you offer? I know my uncle is going to buy the sidecar as he believes it is very rare and worth quite a bit, but I am interested in this white machine. I'll be throwing a sizable chunk of money at this and don't want to get burnt.

Appreciate any help you can give.

np5981 if this turns out to be the real McCoy , please remember to take a shit load of photos of there current resting place before you move them . It's always cool to see real barn finds in barns ,sheds or basements. I pulled my 750 bonnieville out of a mates dads barn that had been sitting there for 25 years !! Oh yeah $450.