mounting a degree wheel using a long soft metal mandrel

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That sounds familiar Dave. Didn't we go through all this, where I said I always use a Vincent pushrod, last year or the year before?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Sid,

The standard tapered pushrod easily inserts into the right mainshaft after removal of the bigend quill. Its taper prevents it from going in too far. My timing disc is screwed to a block of stiff rubber or soft plastic which simply pushes onto the outer end. I use a piston stop to hold the piston about half way up on the compression stroke. Zero the timing disc and reverse the engine to the same stop. Halve the reading on the disc and reset the disc so that the half reading is set to the pointer. Rotate to Zero for BDC. Remove piston stop and rotate to firing position, or rotate 180 degrees to TDC. I would then reset my piston stop to hold the piston in the fully advanced position. The disc and piston stop, made from an old spark plug witha 3/8 stud through it, would easily live in the standard tool tray and the bike generally carried its own pushrods.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Nothing so technical for me. A discarded plastic knitting needle, already nicely tapered, with a self tapping screw in the end to hold the disc in place. Has served me well for many years and is long enough to do with everything else in place. :)

..and if you carry the other needle, you can also darn your riding socks at the roadside if necessary..............................