FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very hard to comment, as I don't know the road conditions and many other factors. The forks seem to move the most under braking which is pretty normal. The stiff action of the shocker may suit heavier bikes and/or riders, but from what I have done this week, the singles definitely need far less damping, unless you are happy with a firm ride..........I guess everyone is going to have to sort out what suits them.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I have two 45lb. springs on the Comet on Steroids, Thornton front and Thornton coil over on rear. The bike weighs about 360lb. and I'm 13 stone. I've only done about 500 miles, but have sought out some abominable roads in a spirit of disinterested enquiry, including about 3/4s of a mile of the worst uphill corrugated and potholed gravel road I've ever seen. As I said to Greg, I no longer feel I have to help the bike and deal with the problems it presents, I just concentrate on pointing the front wheel where I want it. I've also ridden a Touring Rapide and standard Comets over many years. "Steroids" feels like a modern bike, quite comparable in handling to my latest toy, a 1986 Honda GB500.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just reviewed the video TT put on of mine and they seem to move about the same, mine seems to be reacting more but the roads I was using were atrocious as can be seen if you watch the road as well, it's on post 584.
Chris Launders.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I've just been back and looked at Chris Launder's video, page 30 posting 584. I have not looked at it for about a year and memory is a fragile thing. However, there are no indications that I can see that the damping is too hard. The movement of the forks is really good. I recommend that others have a look and then compare the movement to that on their own bike.