FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No, the FF1 has not been strengthened. I did have a friend with some experience do some calculations on the strength. He first said it was sufficiently strong. He then asked if someone had done the mod. I told him it had been used for years in racing by John Renwick and the Bullers.

Greg did a nice FF1 strengthening mod on his racer, photos of which I published in the Greg Brillus Racer thread, I believe.

For better or worse, I buy a new FF1 when I use a front coil-over.

I believe I told Carleton about the modified steering stem being available from Norman and he bought one. It would have been the first batch. It has not been modified further.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
So you still have the 36 lbb springs and just a softer avo setting? my 2020 comet has 36 lb springs and should be around standard weight :_ no front stands no big horn racing front brakes alloy rim lighter headlamp no rear springs but walkernator Dave Hills stand and a bigger battery

timetraveller

VOC Member
Gentlemen, I need some help. One package of steering head and other parts has gone missing (£800+). It was intended to go to an owner in California but has not been delivered. I have tried chasing the shippers here and the intended recipient has also chased the shippers over in the USA. Neither seems to be able to help. At the moment the best guess is that this package was addressed to someone who already had received one. The original package was returned to me and then reshipped on or about the 10th of April. Is there anyone out there who has received two packages?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Out yesterday on the twin, full stem/bearing/spring/damper conversion on the front and AVO coil-over on the back.
Bearing in mind I've hardly ridden a bike since November 170 miles around the back lanes of South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and North Staffordshire yesterday, I only had aching wrists towards the end and no after effects at all.
So much easier and smoother, didn't have to spend most of the time dodging humps and potholes, a real joy, far more relaxing.

Come on, someone else must be using them by now, what do you think ??

vibrac

VOC Member
see my 2020 thread
I have same set up on my Comet
give it another go today tanks empty first I need another can of Esso (thats 15 miles there and back) and pinch another steering damper

greg brillus

VOC Member
The ones used on the road quickly here are the ones where the owners sent me either their complete bike or their lower link for me to modify, and return to the road very quickly. The others are for long term projects that may one day hit the road again. I think that's how they seem to be panning out, but the results from oversees seem to be quite slow, A little disappointing given the effort gone into getting this project off the ground, started back in 2013...........5 years..........I've lost track of how many I've done. When I was at Broadford it was interesting for me to push up and down on the bars of the Goodwood bike, it felt much stiffer in the front end than the Vincent racer I built with the single coilover at the front ........ Just an exercise..............But interesting to me.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
10,000 miles on and its the best thing you can do for any Vincent - vastly improved handling, superior brakes and a much more controlled ride.. BUT you must fit a hydraulic steering damper.

Come to think of it - even without the new steering stem - all Vincent's can benefit from a proper steering damper, no matter how much medical insurance you have!.

The ONLY reason not to have one is the possible negative impact on resale value

timetraveller

VOC Member
Also particularly depressing is the fact that one set, including coil over rear etc, £800 worth in total, seems to have gone missing and I am having real trouble with iPostParcels getting information as the whether the intended address was put on the package or whether it was sent to someone else. Once again, is there anyone out there who has received a second package. I have also just had the first feedback on the hydraulic steering dampers. This is from Michi Schartner in Austria and it seems that there are some problems with bits hitting parts of the engine. I could only do the design on a set of forks off a bike as I do not have a fully assembled bike The problems seem to be solvable but feedback from other people would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
The issue there is no two bikes are set up the same, different crash bars are the biggest hurdle. Owners have to be able to sort these things themselves............Now that's a scary thought..............:)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
10,000 miles on and its the best thing you can do for any Vincent - vastly improved handling, superior brakes and a much more controlled ride.. BUT you must fit a hydraulic steering damper.

Come to think of it - even without the new steering stem - all Vincent's can benefit from a proper steering damper, no matter how much medical insurance you have!.

The ONLY reason not to have one is the possible negative impact on resale value
I agree abut the Hydraulic Damper, Wish someone had told me !, But maybe I would not have listened.
It is easy to take it off, If you want to sell it.
We built a bike for someone, And I wanted to fit one, But we didn't.
I was told later , If it was fitted , They would have taken it off !.
Cheers Bill.