FF: Forks Modified Steering Stem

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
interesting to compare it with Bens lighter twin Racer

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I wish someone would do a similar video of a standard bike just to show the difference, using the cable tie on the spring box I was getting 1.25" travel in normal use with the standard set up, I'm now using 2.5"-2.75" but that is just the extra travel alone and gives no indication of how supple the action is compared to the original. Look at most on board Vincent videos and once the rider is seated and the bike off the stand the forks hardly move.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is also interesting to watch the movement of the concentrics against the background. They, and therefor the rest of the bike, follow a very smooth path compared with movement of the forks or front wheel.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought they would work even better if the springs were longer ?,
To put the front part of the lower link a bit more lower,
Just my thoughts, I still have old stuff !.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Oh no Bill, no Bill no Bill. The point of the new geometry is that the front of the lower link is NOT below the horizontal. If you think about it and the front of the fork is below the horizontal then then the wheel moves upwards the front of the lower link will move upwards and forwards about the rear of the spindle. That in turn means that the wheel has to move forwards as it goes upwards and if one is braking then it does not want to do that. That is why the suspension locks up when braking. We have all been doing what you suggest for decades and it took John Emmanuel over here and David Dunfey in the USA to realise what was going wrong. The sad thing is that if one looks at photographs of the works racers from the early fifties they must have known about this as all their bikes had horizontal lower links, presumably shorter or weaker springs. The story is that George Brown also realised this which is why he built Nero with telescopic forks.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Norman, I knew I would get it in the neck !,
The late Ag Mc Phail , In the early 80 s, Had a look at my bike, After my troubles,
And said we should do something like yours,
But I thought it was too risky,
Bit of a Joke, If you saw what He Built and rode !.

Attachments

• OBM-May-2020-p8.jpg
    OBM-May-2020-p8.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 60

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
He was a Very Clever Bloke Bruce, Google him !,
I was at the track, The first time he rode it, He wore an open face helmet,
Having messed up my face once, I offered him my Full Face helmet, But he said no ,
The only thing that keeps it upright is the width of the rear tyre !!.
I was more worried than him !, And I was only watching.

erik

VOC Member
I fitted the mod. steer. stem to my standard Comet. The last days the weather was fine and I did my first 250 miles with that bike. And what can I say? It`s fantastic the roadgoing. I can go really fast in the curves without any stomach ake when using the frontbrake which is a modified Speet brake and superior to the standard brake. And because of that with more negative effect on a standard steering stem ! Thank you Norman! Regards Erik