ET: Engine (Twin) Modified ET26 - Anorack Corner

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To this engineer, it looks like the idea was to get maximum control of the rocker faces. So there had to be a slot to get the rocker in place. The steel insert is held in place by the thin spring like plate, latching into the slot provided.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Slightly off message but in the sixties my brother asked me to get the welder where I worked in Jenkin and Pursers (Southampton) to weld two rocker mounts together for his Comet.
How bad must the the tunnel have been!
He later offered me the bike for £25- I turned him down!
The go to man in those days was Mike Creamer- did he used to work for Lawton and Wilsons the Vincent agents?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Slightly off message but in the sixties my brother asked me to get the welder where I worked in Jenkin and Pursers (Southampton) to weld two rocker mounts together for his Comet.
The go to man in those days was Mike Creamer- did he used to work for Lawton and Wilsons the Vincent agents?

Yes, Mike Creamer worked for Lawton and Wilson. Prior to that he worked at Vincent's.

vibrac

VOC Member
If it was around 1965 it was over the top I paid £15 for mine

nkt267

VOC Member
In 1969 i got mine given to me, 'Just take it out of my shed, I need the space' said the man I'd never met before..john

vibrac

VOC Member
In 1969 i got mine given to me, 'Just take it out of my shed, I need the space' said the man I'd never met before..john
somewhere today someone is saying that about something we would not even push let alone ride and in forty eight years time...

Flo

VOC Member
I saw these in 1974, when they were made in small numbers by an engineer called Max Bachmann in Zürich.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I sure I remember seeing in the sixties at Conway Motors, Goldhawk Road, extended rocker bushes (ET26/1) but longer, presumedly to pick up on unworn tunnel metal, or am I dreaming? if not was that a long term solution, longer than standard anyway.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
OK who can enlighten me on this little gem. who produced this? I think it may be semi official it is extremley well made and dates from before 1960. and no I honestly have never seen one before.
Its obviously a modified ET26 and that item as we know is a good source of mods to prevent 'wobble in the tunnel' my take is that the rivited steel 'reed strip' is intended to keep pressure on someting in the tunnel which engages in that cross slot
I suspect you're right about the spring strip pressing against 'something in the tunnel', and perhaps that was a dome-headed screw, inserted in the floor of the tunnel through the feed bolt hole. It doesn't appear from the pictures that there is any significant taper on the steel 'slide', and the assembly must have been inserted 'as is', as the spring could not be located as shown once the bearing was in the tunnel. The bearing would be held against the roof of the tunnel, and restrained from otherwise creeping back towards the pushrod, by the feed bolt.