ET: Engine (Twin) Modified ET26 - Anorack Corner

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK who can enlighten me on this little gem. who produced this? I think it may be semi official it is extremley well made and dates from before 1960. and no I honestly have never seen one before.
Its obviously a modified ET26 and that item as we know is a good source of mods to prevent 'wobble in the tunnel' my take is that the rivited steel 'reed strip' is intended to keep pressure on someting in the tunnel which engages in that cross slot

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-8_17-39-4.png
    upload_2017-5-8_17-39-4.png
    394.4 KB · Views: 135
  • upload_2017-5-8_17-38-37.png
    upload_2017-5-8_17-38-37.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 125
  • upload_2017-5-8_17-39-29.png
    upload_2017-5-8_17-39-29.png
    410.5 KB · Views: 127
  • upload_2017-5-8_17-39-50.png
    upload_2017-5-8_17-39-50.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • upload_2017-5-8_17-40-57.png
    upload_2017-5-8_17-40-57.png
    378.7 KB · Views: 125

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
OK who can enlighten me on this little gem. who produced this? I think it may be semi official it is extremley well made and dates from before 1960. and no I honestly have never seen one before.
Its obviously a modified ET26 and that item as we know is a good source of mods to prevent 'wobble in the tunnel' my take is that the rivited steel 'reed strip' is intended to keep pressure on someting in the tunnel which engages in that cross slot
You know I would have had one too !!, Still got it somewhere !.
I think it has to have a slot to get the arm in ??. Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Does the bar and strip in the slot operate like a wedge forcing it against the bottom of the tunnel?

timetraveller

VOC Member
I've got one, or more, of those as well. Never fitted it and never seen one fitted. However, it dates from the time when we were all finding out that our rocker bushes were not a tight fit in the rocker tunnels. I did another mod at the time, early sixties, which consisted of drilling a small hole along the bottom of the rocker bush, tapping the outer half and then slitting the hole with a hacksaw blade. When a ?3/4" long socket headed grub screw was tightened into this hole it caused the rocker bush to expand until it was a tight fit in the tunnel. It worked fine for a while and on the road stayed there. However, this was at the time I was sprinting, and it only required a quick burst of 7,000 rpm for the grub screw to end up a the bottom of the timing cover, with, if one was lucky, no damage. If you still have the item in the photographs then let us know if the steel wedge does slide in along the grooves to expand the rocker bush. I have no idea where mine is otherwise I would do it as well.

vibrac

VOC Member
No the steel part is riveted to the 'spring' part and the bush. You can see the rivet head inside. this is clearly no back street item look how well that thin wall bush is fitted in the alloy. where the cross slot is you can just depress the spring slightly against the steel insert.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The late Robert Fabian had a set in his Lightningised Rapide that Clifford Brown did for him around 1954, look some what rougher than the sample shown here but the idea was to jamb the rocker bush against the side walls of the tunnel by tapping the wedge into the bearing. Some what difficult to remove I would imagine as they were already out when I bought the bike as a basket case. All the bits were in the small leather Vincent pannier. The other one had been stolen while in the lean to shed in London in the 60's along with the shadow clock.

Howard

VOC Member
Looks to me like the bush is pushed into the tunnel, then the steel wedge is knocked in until the spring (reed) part engages the two small slots, stopping the wedge from jumping out. Squeeze the spring and pull the wedge out.

All that engineering and not used, I suspect it didn't work.

vibrac

VOC Member
Looks to me like the bush is pushed into the tunnel, then the steel wedge is knocked in until the spring (reed) part engages the two small slots, stopping the wedge from jumping out. Squeeze the spring and pull the wedge out.

All that engineering and not used, I suspect it didn't work.
Yes I think that's it. However even if it didn't work I like the thin wall bushes and the oil groove very well done I wonder who made it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
if one makes a slot, and when mounted i a slightly bigger hole, the alingnment of the pin aint ok anymore causing exxxxxessive wear and tear.
no good
Then again what is good???