Misc: Everything Else Misfire

SteveO

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nigsey, you say you are on a BTH mag. If mag, 30 thou is too wide a gap on the plugs I'd have thought. Be careful with NGKs, they are widely forged by unscrupulous manufacturers. I'd stick with Champions. If you are still on mag, you don't want plugs with an R in the name (=Resistor), nor do you want resistors in the caps. Are you getting any leaking from the carbs? I think you are also not giving it enough fist. I warm mine up for the first 12 miles, but quite often this is at 70mph on a dual carriageway and I'm still running my engine in with new pistons and rings (and bottom end, but that's another story). Bear in mind that in top, 100mph is only about 3500 revs. The other thing I would try is removing the Vokes filters and revert to standard settings on jets etc and see what this does.
Dave, strangely, if my plugs soot up it's usually the other way round the front (no 2) is sooty. I do use quite a lot of choke (up until end of the road). I'm on 32mm Amal Mk1 Concentrics though.

Last edited:

nigsey

VOC Member
Nigsey, you say you are on a BTH mag. If mag, 30 thou is too wide a gap on the plugs I'd have thought. Be careful with NGKs, they are widely forged by unscrupulous manufacturers. I'd stick with Champions. If you are still on mag, you don't want plugs with an R in the name (=Resistor), nor do you want resistors in the caps. Are you getting any leaking from the carbs? I think you are also not giving it enough fist. I warm mine up for the first 12 miles, but quite often this is at 70mph on a dual carriageway and I'm still running my engine in with new pistons and rings (and bottom end, but that's another story). Bear in mind that in top, 100mph is only about 3500 revs. The other thing I would try is removing the Vokes filters and revert to standard settings on jets etc and see what this does.
Dave, strangely, if my plugs soot up it's usually the other way round the front (no 2) is sooty. I do use quite a lot of choke (up until end of the road). I'm on 32mm Amal Mk1 Concentrics though.
Thank Steve, someone else recommended Champion, so I’ll give them a go. Good point about the Vokes filters, mine have K&N inserts, I’ll take them off and try it without. Again, other respectable Vincenteers have suggested I’m not riding it hard enough, so I’ll have to open her up a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Wardingley

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Bill,
The pictures of the Norvin carbs. The test run with NGK B7ES in the front cylinder and NGK B6ES in the rear cyl went ok but on return both front and rear cylinder very sooty.
Dave

Attachments

• 5E4393BA-636A-4DE1-92AA-D8D1844AFCE9.jpeg
    5E4393BA-636A-4DE1-92AA-D8D1844AFCE9.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 824E73CA-3B29-406D-B3CD-76D22B480E9C.jpeg
    824E73CA-3B29-406D-B3CD-76D22B480E9C.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 24
  • FA13C5BC-7C78-4E0D-A386-4354599FD001.jpeg
    FA13C5BC-7C78-4E0D-A386-4354599FD001.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 24

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's stuffed me !,
No pumps !!,
They look new so the chokes should be going OFF OK ?.
B6es plugs should be OK.
I think you may need weaker slides, Bigger cutaway ?.
Unless it's an ignition fault ?.
Cheers Bill.