Miller switches on the handlebar

Sloper

Forum User
VOC Member
...as I would like to change the - presently - cheap handlebar mounted light and horn replica switches on my Rap B into a more original shape, has anybody details about their exact position and shape (or even some pictures....)? Thank you, Sloper

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes there many of us out there who would love to get the right switch gear and even the correct brake light switch ,maybe the club spares company might look into getting some made ,as the cheap indian ones out there now are junk.
happy hols
Peter

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
That's globalisation for you. As Maggie Thatcher said, "we don't need industry. We've got the banks, and the Chinese can make anything we want." That fluttering noise you hear is a pigeon coming home to roost.

There are some very good replicas sold in the UK, but if you want "the real thing" it means auto-jumbling. I agree about quality issues: I have my original Miller switch, and lost the lever. The replacement was very poorly finished.

Albervin

VOC Member
My replica Miller dipswitch (from the VOC Spares Co) looks great but I reckon it would fall to pieces if I used it half a dozen times. I guess it is supply and demand but we really do deserve a bit better I think. There is only one person who makes these and, like other Vincent parts he produces, it appears to be "this is it, take it or leave it". I may be being unkind but the technology is already in place to make replicas that look like the originals but outperform them.
Not sure what is meant by original brake light switches. The Miller units only appeared for a very brief period, after which the Lucas items were used. These are freely available through autojumbles and e-bay. I have exactly the same switch on my old Riley, slung under the car, covered in road grime. A simple and efficient part.

Alan J

VOC Member
My replica switch filled with water as it does occasionally rain here in the U.K.-it then fused everything else , actually in "la belle France"-to work my indicators I resorted to pressing a bare wire!- I now have fitted a j------e black switch that works!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I have the original Lucas brake switch on my Sunbeam S7. Still works, although is slung (like most) to double as a spray deflector from the rear wheel. On the rare occasions that I've cleaned it, I've wondered how it continues to work.
I think I still have an original Miller switch, but rating functionality considerably higher than originality I have my brake light switch on the front Magura lever.
It pays to make sure the live wire doesn't get trapped in the forks causing a mysterious intermittent short. Don't ask how I know this.

Sloper

Forum User
VOC Member
...seems the Lucas brake switch is right on my 48` Rap, however, has somebody any pictures of the original light dip switch (Miller), as the reproduction seems to differ in various details...

Thanks again,

Sloper

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Back to handlebar switches. Not all Vins came with the usual dipswitch. Here's the one that came on my Shadow. That is not quite the correct original miles on the speedo, the bike had a spell of breaking speedo cables, so I eventually stopped replacing them. I figure the bike has about 40K miles on it total.

Attachments

• Dipswitch2.jpg
    Dipswitch2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Johnbull

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That looks very much like the one fitted on my 48 Meteor.

Incidentally, were the Series B handlebars painted black, or were they chromed?

Happy Christmas from sunny Malta.