Misc: Ignition/Mag-Dynos Miller Mag-Dyno Parts Needed

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I never thought I get a series A in the workshop but now I work on a Comet with Miller magdyno. Someone converted the dynamo to belt drive - with disastrous results as I found the belt with all the teeth missing. I would need the parts to go back to geardrive but have not found a source for these parts. Anyone care to help?
Thanks, Hartmut
you can contact me here:
www.britishclassicbikes.de

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As to belt drives I am thinking of a mod on a Bosch magdyno of my R 62. But not a toothed belt, just a plain textile belt or poly-V belt if I can find one. The 3ph servo motor for dyno puts out under 100 W so not much force on the belt. Gears are noisy , need grease - which tries to escape anywhere in the dyno. I hate them . . .

Vic

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A plain belt would stand the loads a tad better but wear out to the point that it cannot transform the driving force to turn the dynamo. Thatswhy I prefer the gear driven system with the spring loaded slipping clutch. Any ideas where i could get the parts for a Miller? Maybe I could use/convert Lucas parts?

oexing

VOC Member
. . . driving forces , with less than 100 W ?? That is 0.15 hp only . Problem really is the uneven load on the massive armature from the engine drive, which overloads teeth on belts. Some slippage in belt drives is allright when not teethed. But all pulleys should be steel, alu will wear and coat the belt with alu dust. Still I am confident that the mod might be OK.

Vic

P1070097.JPG

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vic, since driving forces are not to be considered how come that all the magdynos have a slipping clutch? I was just asking where to get the missing parts of the original lay-out. No need to tell me your understanding what happens inside a single magneto that is abused to drive a dynamo as well. Ever checked the variation of speed at tick-over?
Again: where should I order those parts for a Miller magdyno?

delboy

VOC Member
Er, there are no gears or slipping clutch on an original Miller dynomag.
It was fitted with sprockets and a duplex chain. Possibly the chain is available new? Sprockets I suspect would have to be made.
However, the tooth belt parts can be got and adapted, and "our" "A" man Brian Werrett has had good results methinks.
Regards,
delboy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have no personal experience with these devices but BigEd's comments above might be relevant. When people first started trying to fit alternators as dynamo replacements several people tried toothed belts. The systems generally failed as the toothed belts do not allow for any slippage and therefore impart any shock loads to all the components. When I designed the 'Walkernator', with Dick Sherwin, I chose to use the poly vee belts deliberately to allow some slippage to get rid of the shock loads. I phoned one of the belt manufacturing company and by chance was put through to their chief designer. At that stage we were using 30 amp Iskra alternators. 30 amps at 14.3 volts is over 0.4 kwatt and one kilowatt is 1.34 HP so about half a horse power. I was told that a three groove belt would transmit a full horse power so the six groove belts we use are well over specked. I now provide a 40 amp alternator and the six groove belts have proven totally reliable with those as well. If you were going for a belt drive I would certainly recommend a poly vee belt.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have a 200 watt permanent magnet alternator running on a twin, driven by a 6 rib J section poly V and running on alloy pulleys I made to suit. It has been on there for around 28 years. I think I changed a belt once! I do carry a spare and about a year ago I had to adjust t he tension as it was starting to slip. Maybe it's time for a new belt. Probably around 100K miles since that went on....

Like a Walkernator but small. They also do the same alternator in 300 and 400 watt, haven't had the need to change.