Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Horn/Dip switch wiring

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member

I hate electrical problems with a passion.

The lock screw from the existing handlebar mounted horn/dip switch fell out, so I purchased a replica Miller item from the spares company.
There are 4 wires that come out of the switch…..Black, White, Green, Yellow.
The existing switch has, of course, wires of completely different colours.
Can anyone provide me with a hint of what the wires on the new switch connect to?

Report Edit

timetraveller

VOC Member
If no one gives you the answer then it is easy to check. The horn wire will just go to earth when the button is pressed. Of the other three one is the input which will contact through to one of the others as the dip switch is toggled.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have identified the black wire as being connected to ground when the horn button is pushed..
That only leaves yellow, green and white for the high & low beam switch.
If only the supplier had labeled the bloody wires..

Richard Carrigan

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well of the three wires left one will be bringing electricity in for the headlight from the main switch, one will be for power out to the high beam, the other will be power out to the low beam. You just need to find the power in cable by using a multimeter or bulb and battery to find which cable has continuity (intermittently) with the other two when you toggle the lever. Then just wire the other two cables to the headlight feed and be prepared to swap them around if the dipswitch is working in reverse. Sorry if this comes over as 'teaching Granny to suck eggs' :) I've just had to do this job and with a meter & it only takes a few minutes.

vibrac

VOC Member
You are only going to sell it anyway so which of the two wires does dip and head and thus which way the lever flicks will be for the new owner to find he wont have any habits to overcome.
What ever minutia you think may increase the value remember prices are on the decline, the longer you fiddle......