F: Frame Miller Early H.R.D. Stop Light Switch Mounting Bracket

HRD hound

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am sharing my design, not saying it is exact! Just a suggestion. I have been looking for the proper shape/design of the Round Miller early stop light switch mounting
bracket. I have looked at several pictures of early bikes, original and restored. I found it difficult to determine exact design, as view is blocked by the switch. So here is what I came up with. 3/4" by 1/8" aluminum flat bar Approximately 2 3/8" long (I made it a bit longer as my bike had a rear fender brace added, and I felt switch bracket would have to be tilted a bit forward to clear brace) I also added two washers for spacing bracket out slightly to clear the round area of the added fender brace ( See rough diagram, and pictures)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7153.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7153.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_IMG_7161.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7161.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_IMG_7155.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7155.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_IMG_7159.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7159.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_IMG_7158.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7158.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_IMG_7156.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7156.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail_IMG_7154.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7154.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 27

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for sharing these photos and drawing. I've got a switch but no bracket.
Can anyone confirm these bracket dimensions?

HRD hound

VOC Member
I think the original may have been a bit shorter, as I had to tilt mine to the right to get by the added fender stay. Here are some photos I have taken, the first three are of #7 bike, but it seems to have had an extra fender stay added like my bike. In the photos you will see the switch is rotated to the rear, and the bracket that sems to be the thickness of mine looks like it has a curve. I do not think the bracket is the original shape as the curve would not be necessary. Other photos seem to place the switch between the rear stay and the swing arm.
The fourth photo shows Switch added to the extra stay, which I think is the correct position for the switch, but not the correct mounting (because stay was added).
The last phot is of a nicely restored bike, it seems the switch is a reproduction, but I think it is in the right location. Did not get good picture of mounting bracket.
Other original bike photos, not close ups, show the switch between rear stay and Swing arm.

Attachments

• DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00879.JPG
    DSC00879.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 20
  • MillerSwitch_AWRap07.jpg
    MillerSwitch_AWRap07.jpg