Misc: Carburettors Mikuni VM 28 replacement

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just looked in Sudco's latest catalog. VM28's are still listed as available new.
Steven

1687439103103.png

oexing

VOC Member
But then, in Europe, would I order a Mikuni from USA ?? Never, when I can have them from Aliexpress at a fraction of costs - plus no extra VAT or customs troubles . Would not take longer from China, I guess, as no customs delays in both ends of shipment are expected.

Vic

LoneStar

VOC Member
Well, you can't beat the Chinese imitations for price and availability.

But the obvious question is the quality. Carburetors are high-precision items, with minor faults leading to big problems. Mikuni has a solid and long-established reputation; the Chinese clones are of unknown manufacturer(s).

Does anyone have experience with them?

oexing

VOC Member
Ha, funny how forumites still believe Mikunis were all made in Japan. See my link below for Mikuni production sites, seems no motorbike carbs are made in Japan at all since long time. Instead some sites in China, in Taiwan, Thailand, India etc. . So not a great argument for insisting on buying from "official" dealers, unless you need certain spares later that you could not find at Aliexpress. At less than € 50.- per carb what´s the big risk in trying their carbs on your bikes. "Precision" instruments - Amals - yes, I cannot tell much about "China" Mikunis, had a look at one "original" flat slide Mikuni, was not impressed about fits. We had a PWK carb for looking inside, a Keihin design it seems with a semi flat slide, no big flaws found but not tested yet, dirt cheap. Slide fit was acceptable for a sort of "flat slide" I guess, but I would not want one for a classic.
For our restored 2.3l Capri I got a new China Weber carb for a 2.8 l at € 110.- as we had troubles with blockage in some complicated drillings in the original old Solex carb we were unable to clear. I put a lambda sensor test kit on for carb tuning on the 2.3l engine, allright for quite some time I think, tried some jets and modded pilot jets to go on the China copy as original Weber jets were a bit different, no big deal. So chief pilot Helga is fine with it , there are limits about what you can do on car carbs having no needles like with motor bike carbs for part slide open. Anyway, with spirited driving , 120 kph on country roads plus 140 kph on autobahn we see 9.3 l fuel per 100 km . I am not authorised in putting SU carbs on like on the Jag. So it is like it is, China not to blame. The copy was € 110.- compared to € 500.- for a new Ford Weber spare.
As to boycots, a bit hypocritical about China I think. Xi is not China, Castro not Cuba, Chomeini not Iran, Putin not Russia, Trump not USA. Factory workers can do pretty nothing about their bosses and politicians but live from products exported. As to China, you would not get a lot from your pharmacy when insisting on medicine made in your country . . .

Vic

Mikuni sites

PWK semi flat slide

PWK flat slide carb, Keihin design:
P1070417.JPG

P1070442.JPG

Ford Weber China:
P1100674.JPG

P1100678.JPG

P1100912.JPG

LoneStar

VOC Member
The question is about the manufacturer, not so much the country of origin. Manufacturers own the technology and set the quality standards. Mikuni stands behind their products, on which their reputation rests, regardless of where made. Similarly, Michelin and Goodyear make good tires with modern technology all over the world.

The concern I'd have with the unbranded Chinese clones on Alibaba, etc. is that you don't know who made them or how; there's no reputation to rely on. Worth a try at the price, perhaps.