Misc: Carburettors Mikuni Settings

Piston Pete

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have had a few carb problems lately with my VM28 Mikuni carb on my trusty Comet. I have decided to get a new one as the current one has done 45,000miles , and despite changing jets etc ,the problem still remains ( bike bogs-down at certain throttle openings ). I have changed the manifold rubber and gone through everything else, so to hell with it - I will nail a new carb on!

Anyway, do any of the wise folk on here have any recommendations for the following…

main jet
pilot jet
needle jet
needle
throttle slide cutaway
main air jet

Any advice is much appreciated.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If you run with air filters I very much doubt that wear in carb will be your problem, they are a very well made carb, and not prone to premature wear, the enemy these days is ethanol fuel left in the carb bowl , or anywhere else for that matter, if nothing else has been changed with the engine, when you fit your new carb I would start off with the same settings you have been using for the last 45k miles, and see how it goes.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I'd also be checking your petrol tank components; the vent hole in the cap, the taps and filters and the fuel lines. Some of this modern "petrol" really stuffs things up.

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Thanks for the comments. I have changed the fuel taps for the lever type from the VOC , and the little hole in the cap is clear. I have blown through the fuel pipes - all good .I will just run with the settings as they are , an see how i get on.