Methanol and pump gas LSR

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Steve is in the modified class, not Production, and true, not vintage. When Marty rides Steve's bike, though, then it is in the Vintage class, so they each can have a record on the same bike. Some leeway is allowed in the Vintage class, it is not as strict as the Production or Vintage Production classes, and obviously not as strict as the Modified class.

davidd

VOC Member
Steve,

Sorry, you are correct. The chassis class is Modified and the engine class is Pushrod Gas. There is no leeway that I know of in the rules that allows for the use of brand new engine parts, i.e. cases muffs and heads, unless the new part is an exact replica and offers no competitive advantage. Thus, for me to qualify for Vintage Gas or Vintage Fuel I can not use Terry Prince muffs (which have more fin area than stock) or his heads (which have more fin area also). I could not use Irving-Vincent cases or other replacement cases because they have re-worked bearing journal areas and case thickness which adds stiffness which equals HP, which is also a competitive advantage.

I only race in the Vintage Class, so I do not know of any leeway compared to the other classes. I also race in ECTA and LTA and they have the same rule. I have not heard of any leeway in their rules either.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The Vintage class may differ slightly between AMA and SCTA, I am not sure, and I have heard of the "no competitive advantage" clause, but somehow Hamel's bike passed tech for the AMA vintage class for Marty's recent record.

davidd

VOC Member
The Vintage class may differ slightly between AMA and SCTA, I am not sure, and I have heard of the "no competitive advantage" clause, but somehow Hamel's bike passed tech for the AMA vintage class for Marty's recent record.

That"s the only answer that can be given. I apologize for making you defend someone else's position. It was the "leeway in the rules" that energized me. I do not want to hi-jack the thread!

David

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
The John Edgar machine was a specially tuned Black Shadow , set up by the Works for the attempt . It came with the std street equipment , carbs etc in the crate . After the runs the street stuff was fitted and John rode it on the street . Hope I did better this time than last .
It ran on straight methanol , not nitro . As did Frees own later specially built Black Lightning and featuring Big Port heads , these designed for Grey Flashes originally . I ran them too . This Lightning reached a speed of just over 163 battling Joe Simpsons earlier
Version of the Lightning , this a bit slower having the smaller ports and inlet valve heads . Unable to beat Frees speed Simpson fitted a blower so leaving that class . His speed then reached the mid 180s , a naked machine and ridden by Dickerson . This performance was remarkable and indicated the huge gain the blower provided , shows the great job that Simpson did fitting the blower the bike setting a marvelous record speed right out of the box . Few have done that the first time out . Sid .

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Thanks all,
so we could say that the fastest vincent ever on pump gas (no special fuel mix or methanol etc..) has been Marty Dickersons' Blue Bike at 147 and still unbeaten?
Thanks,
Eddie

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I would agree with that , fastest ever on pump gas , no additives . However the Irving Horner 16000 may have been on gas when it won the Daytona BOT event a few years ago with a 9 sec lead . No one even came close . Generally it runs on Methanol . I'll ask Horner . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
That was of course the 1600 cc version of these machines , not 16000 . I have asked Horner . Sid .

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks all,
so we could say that the fastest vincent ever on pump gas (no special fuel mix or methanol etc..) has been Marty Dickersons' Blue Bike at 147 and still unbeaten?
Thanks,
Eddie

The Bonneville sanctioning bodies are very strict about the petrol vs fuel classes. Even though the old Class C rules specified low octane 'pump' gas, and the current rules allow high octane petrol, I believe there are specific chemical properties that are used to define petrol, so even though the octane part of the equation is different now, in my book, Steve Hamel's 1000cc bike that has set records in the mid to upper 150's is the fastest 'gas' Vincent using 1000cc. For higher displacement Vincents, did Dave Matson get up into the 170s or something before switching to the fuel class (although he was probably partially streamlined, a big factor). Back in So Cal, my local Union 76 dealer has high octane petrol available, which probably is nearly identical to what is available on the Salt to the petrol class participants. That meets my definition of "no special fuel mix or methanol etc".

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Wrong again ! Pie on my face . Indeed Steve Hamels runs are made burning gas , his motor still std. displacement . Latest run was just a bit under 160 mph . Sid .