Meteor 276 Carburettor

G

Graham Smith

The carburettor I have on my pre-war Meteor is from a post-war Rapide, although I think the float chamber is correct.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a new correct carburettor body (with the four holes at the bottom)?

If not, does anyone have a pre-war 276 body under a bench that they'd be prepared to sell?

IMG_7871.jpegIMG_7873.jpegIMG_7872.jpegIMG_7869.jpegIMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7891.jpeg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The float bowl look correct and the bike will run using the later 276 body. The pre war type 76 carbs that series A Meteors used with 4 radial pilot holes are not available new so its search eBay, autojumbles or beg.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know little, going on nothing about modifying carburettors, but is it possible to simply drill a post war 276 in the appropriate positions to achieve the visual result you require without destroying functionality.

delboy

VOC Member
I don't think it would be as straightforward as drilling the four air intake holes.
The Pre-War bodies don't have the angled bit of casting under the bellmouth. If you removed it you'd have a hole!
As I recall the pilot air/fuel supply machining is different on the engine side of the body.
The jet block is different, so all in all I don't think there's any easy mix and match opportunity.
Unless you can find a clip-fit type 76, and are a stickler for originality, I'd stay with the post-war body. [Carb', not yours.]
Regards,
Delboy.

Dinny

VOC Member
What are the dimensions for the carb?

I have this one that might work, I cannot see a number on it.

I‘m looking for a float chamber like yours for a pre war 89 carb, I have a post war one on mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 23

oexing

VOC Member
Peter,
you can certainly drill a 276 for a lookalike prewar. You don´t have to drill all the way into the central air supply for the needle jet, as in case you don´t get the angle right you´d hit the thread of the needle jet. The drill is 1/8" - imperial . Of course when you look into the bellmouth side of a 276 you can notice it is no real prewar as there is the air bore or two small bores that lead to the central air cavity for needle jet. The prewar Amal does not have any air drillings from the bellmouth side. I can add photos later of these details.

Vic

delboy

VOC Member
What are the dimensions for the carb?

I have this one that might work, I cannot see a number on it.

I‘m looking for a float chamber like yours for a pre war 89 card, I have a post war one on mine.
Hi Dinny,
I have learned a detailette.
I see from your photos that Amal did at some point utilise the later body casting [with the angled boss cast on] and machine it Pre-War 76 style.
Clearly they would not have machined the angled air intake hole as well as the four intake holes, as this would be pointless with the 76 jet block.
Regards,
Delboy.