E: Engine Measuring Pistons

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A heavy initial spate of downsizing followed by an unexpected influx of Vincent parts from an auction, means that I am trying in the best traditions of the Borg* to assimilate a mass into my parts store. This has has lead me to catalog the pistons I have accumulated over the years. Many are in excelent condition cast aside in a mad rush to 90 bores and high racing ratios.
Now I was always told that you measure pistons across the bore at right angles to the gudgeon (wrist) pin, at the bottom of the skirt. However so far I have measured two emblasoned with STD on the crown whose skirts are measuring closer to +40 am I doing it wrongly?
This is my first foray into measuring pistons normally I would take a barrel and a piston and ask my 'man' to bore to suit the new piston with a clearance (racing 6 thou) however I think I should use some of these lower compression good pistons in my new road twin. Speed for once is not a goal it will mainly be built for.

* In Star Treck the Borg are a race of semi automitans who absorb sentinent races and technologies (sorry about that :cool:)

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Tim,
Definitely across the bore at right angles to the gudgeon pin, at the bottom of the skirt. What are you using to do the measuring? A big micrometre rather than a vernier calliper is probably best. (Or you could use the tape measure out of Angela's sewing box.)