PR: Proprietary Items McDougalator, no oil

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hope you can read this. Just a thought, The sprocket nut, He says do up to 35/40 lb/ft, Carl H told us this is a misprint, Should be lb/inches ????, I remember doing it up, And thinking, I can't do this !, And stopped well short of 35 lb. Good Luck, Bill.View attachment 18710View attachment 18710
30 to 35 foot pounds is correct for the sprocket nut. Alternator end should be 60 foot pounds and using lock tight.

druridge

VOC Member
Very many thanks.
The installation instructions downloaded fine.
The bike has got a 12v battery & the 60w halogen bulb.
My regulator doesn't have the 2 blue wires mentioned (I note these are shown in nearly all the images that come up on Google), but otherwise it does look like a Kubota regulator and seems to have been on the bike for a while.
As mentioned both blue wires from the alternator go to the 2 yellow wires from the regulator.
The red wire on the regulator goes to the -ve side of the ammeter.
There is then a blue wire from the +ve side of the ammeter back to the +ve battery terminal.
As I understand it, this must be my battery charging / 'power out' circuit - that is through the ammeter? I'm assuming this requires the ammeter to be in good order.
Battery is wired -ve earth; and the black wire from the regulator goes to earth, hopefully completing the circuit .
My regulator doesn't have a green wire either!
If there remains any doubt about my regulator, then a call to the Spares Co. to see if they have a regulator 'of many colours' might be a smart move......

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Very many thanks.
The installation instructions downloaded fine.
The bike has got a 12v battery & the 60w halogen bulb.
My regulator doesn't have the 2 blue wires mentioned (I note these are shown in nearly all the images that come up on Google), but otherwise it does look like a Kubota regulator and seems to have been on the bike for a while.
As mentioned both blue wires from the alternator go to the 2 yellow wires from the regulator.
The red wire on the regulator goes to the -ve side of the ammeter.
There is then a blue wire from the +ve side of the ammeter back to the +ve battery terminal.
As I understand it, this must be my battery charging / 'power out' circuit - that is through the ammeter? I'm assuming this requires the ammeter to be in good order.
Battery is wired -ve earth; and the black wire from the regulator goes to earth, hopefully completing the circuit .
My regulator doesn't have a green wire either!
If there remains any doubt about my regulator, then a call to the Spares Co. to see if they have a regulator 'of many colours' might be a smart move......
Just had a look at my Reg' It's got big fins on it, And on the side says RS51, Below that a big 30 then to the right of that an A and below that 8J6H
It's mounted on a bit of thick alloy as a heat sink. Cheers Bill.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
20171228_110514.jpg
This is the type of the regulator that John was using.

druridge

VOC Member
Just had a look at my Reg' It's got big fins on it, And on the side says RS51, Below that a big 30 then to the right of that an A and below that 8J6H
It's mounted on a bit of thick alloy as a heat sink. Cheers Bill.
Thanks Bill
Mine is also finned and mounted on an alloy plate, no numbers at all visible.
I think I will take it off tomorrow to see if there are any hidden numbers, will also give the Spares Co. a call to see what parts they've got.
All the best
Ian

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Do any instructions (such as a wiring diagram) ..........
On a slightly different tack, the Rapide spent a good few years in Canada. Its the bike Barrie Howell rode around the world. He took the bike back to Canada and lived in Calgary before moving to Winfield BC. The bike then passed to his son-in-law Peter Conron in eg 1989. I think he lived in Surrey BC. The bike came back to the UK @ 1999. If any members have memories of the bike I'd be delighted to hear from you.
If I'm thinking of the correct bike I can put you in touch with the Coventry Section member who owned the bike. PM me with a bit more detail if you want to.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Hope you can read this. Just a thought, The sprocket nut, He says do up to 35/40 lb/ft, Carl H told us this is a misprint, Should be lb/inches ????, I remember doing it up, And thinking, I can't do this !, And stopped well short of 35 lb. Good Luck, Bill.View attachment 18710View attachment 18710
I want to put a warning light on my bike fitted with this set-up. Am I right in thinking the green goes to one side of the bulb and then the other bulb contact goes to Ignition+ve?