Matching Numbers?

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Numbers on my Comet are from 3 different bikes and I have no complaint about that, and I couldn't give a fig about the value ( until I have to sell it of course).
The question was should the numbers be the same?.Usually they are not.John

Alan J

VOC Member
I suspect quite a few "b"s like mine had their "Bramptons" removed to use "girdraulics" so making them non-matching, but not for any suspicious motives!

nkt267

VOC Member
Usually they are not.John
Brain left home before I did, of course the ufm and rfm numbers should be the same. Not sure if I have ever had a Comet that was 1 original bike.
My brothers Meteor has different ufm and rfm numbers but they are both Meteor but were separate bikes..John

nobby

VOC Member
Last week I had to sell my matching ufm/rfm Comet, including the sidecar. It went with the aussie 600 engine in it, but I wanted to sell including the matching (and running) engine.
I really did not want to break the bike in parts just for profit, allthough I could need some money in this economic crisis.
Last few years I had several offers for the 500 engine, but I refused coz' wanted to keep it all together
So the new owner has all the matching parts with it, and it is now up to him what will happen to it...
The UK buyer is a man who uses his bikes well and often, so I wish him and his wife many lovely rides on three wheels!

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Matching numbers are of interest to collectors who don't ride anyway and people who only see dollar signs. Roy is so very right, the real worth of
the machine is in the inside.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
As I understand it a machine boasting matching numbers translates as a machine with three original parts on it , as to the other umpteen (the majority) parts , who knows.
Just ride it!

Howard

VOC Member
Thought for the day.

The guy with the £100 Rapide in 1960, who replaced his broken RFM with a £5 second hand spare from the local breakers yard, knocked £1000s off the value of someone's pride and joy in 2012!!

I wonder if 50 years worth of riders since, have noticed, or given a flying fig!!

H

Britvin

Forum User
VOC Member
A vincent is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay for it, wether matching numbers or not.I am the lucky owner of two Vincent's & at the time of buying them I was not bothered wether they where matching numbers or not, but they happened to both be matching numbers, which both needed to be restored from basket case. What I feel nice about having matching number is, the three main parts have stayed together from the factory to present day considering over the year's the bikes have had several owners, the twin being a bike which spent most of it's life in Argentina which makes them in my eyes a bit special (by the way, I do ride them)