Matching Numbers?

Gilli

VOC Hon. Secretary
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Ideally! And certainly worth more if you didn't just want to ride your bike.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Matching numbers may make more money, they do NOT guarantee a better riders bike.
But if we take the question at face value and the 2 numbers are identical then BIG questions must be asked as to the origin of the bike. But it will still ride as good..John

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
A carefully rebuilt bitsa must be better than a 60 year old "shag bag" . The proof of the pudding is my own Rapide. Some while ago I went to one of the Suffolk sections meetings (thanks Len) Several people recognised my new acqisition, the first thing said was- "so you bought Cliff's bike, several of us helped to put it together. That's enough history to make me happy with my purchase, on the flip side , my 1200 Harley has not turned a wheel since!

b'knighted

VOC Member
Paranoia raises its head again. Should we be discussing numbers and values on a public access forum?

I have one pretty bike with matching numbers but the bikes I ride are mismatched. Another of my bikes has matching number but is believed to have been restamped by a well known restorer - does that make it worth more?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Rob,
The best people to address this question to are Gordon Powell, Machine Registrar and Vince Powell, Machine Researcher. When I first bought my basket case Rapide I spoke to Vince and he was able to confirm some of the details of my machine. Gordon supplied me with information that helped me to get it UK registered. (It was built and exported to Argentina in 1948 as a new machine and never registered in the UK.) You will find the contact details for Gordon and Vince inside the front cover of MPH.
From a riding point of view a Vincent is great whatever the numbers are. Some people put more significance in numbers and this may reflect in a later sale price.
Personally I think that I just want to ride my Rapide and the numbers and possible future value don't bother me.:)
Quick Question are the numbers on the ufm and rfm supposed to be the same?
Quick Question are the numbers on the ufm and rfm supposed to be the same?

Rob H

VOC Member
Interesting, seems to be a hot subject.
Just for the record my bike which is built to ride not show once belonged to my father. The rfm number does not match the ufm or log book this is why I asked the question, so I guess it must have had some accident in the past.
To me the monetary value is meaningless, the sentmental link to my father and the ability to ride it as it was meant to be ridden means much much more