Marine Diesel

Flo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have no reliable first hand knowledge, but since this kind of engine usually is a modular concept (4 to 10 cylinders), I assume the crank to be modular too, split at the crank pins.
I remember hearing a story of an engine suffering a fluid lock and shifting a built up crank which was repaired by readjusting the valve and shifting injection.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Yes that is my type of engine that I've worked on, working with this type from 1972 two stroke KZ x 10 cylinders 140 RPM 15,ooo BHP 120 stroke x 70 cm bore MAN engines built by KHI (Kawasaki Heavey Industies) I have a makers name plate in the attic in BRASS I can hardly lift that I salvaged from such an engine before it went to scrape then I move to Denmark to stand by the next series of banana boats where the engines were double the dimensions built by Berninster & Wain built in Asia under licence. The fuel oil can be walked on and certainly needs to be heated to be pumped, centrifuged to remove sand & impurities then heated further to 150 degree Celsius to be injected so it will atomise.
Our Pro Professor Neville Higgins is a tall gent and he climbed into the scavenge trunk of one of our ships, it being only 4' high and looked through the cylinder ports to see the pistons moving with the turning gear engaged the stroke being well over 2 m
Flo my handsome, you are correct each main journal is set into the webb of the crank with a very carefully marked location with a chisel line stamped across the journal pin & webb so on inspection it can be seen if it moved. this is what surveyor check on inspections.
bananaman.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The lead hammer to true up those joints must be impressive! ;)

The hydraulic machine used there must be a monster hung from the overhead crane