Maintenance for morons

notap

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian, Bring your bike around and we can go through the basic stuff like oil changes, chains, tappets, grease, and so on. Be good to work from a list (like gwild has kindly shared). I'm certainly no expert, but we can work through the basic stuff and set you up with the right tools. I'm away for the next week or so, but give me a call and we can sort a time. All the best, Rob.

Dinny

VOC Member
If you join the club you will be able to login to the members area. Go to Articles and the WhitakerPedia and there's loads of info under operation and maint. Its generally useful info from old MPH's, looked today and I think it maybe helpful to get you started

Mark

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have put an Excel format copy of Gwilym's file in the "Downloads" area of the forum for people that may want to have a look at it. Link below:
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=61

I used to have permission to upload pictures, but I can't even seem to access my own photos now let alone upload new files.
I've made my schedule into a google doc [here], but the formatting has been somewhat mangled. However if you were to copy the whole gdocs sheet and paste back into your own copy of Excel the formatting may right itself.
I am happy to email the Excel file to anybody if they want to try uploading the file themselves.
Once again I repeat that the contents are only a guide and no substitute for knowing what to do. If you are unsure, find somebody who is not before damaging your machine!gwild

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
Graham,
How many Club members use this forum on a regular basis?
Everybody gets their MPH.
MPH is the key, not this forum.

Ray

b'knighted

VOC Member
On 15-10-2012, I counted the members listed in the community tab and found that less than 14 percent of the 2400 forum community were shown as VOC members. This would suggest that 336 VOC members are registered on the forum but doesn't tell us how often they use it.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Several years ago I wrote something like described , " Tips from the Tooltray " , but tho the manuscript is completed we never
Published it . Money too tight , the years slipped away . Same old story .
Why dont you lay out one yourself in a journal form ? Proceidure , date , reminders and what unusual was noticed . All in a permanent note book . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Recently someone mentioned carbs running hot and blued pipes that needed correcting lest it misguide new owners , this during periods of prolonged idling .
Pipes discolor from this poor practice due to running with retarded ignition , this because there is a plume of flame exiting the ex. port and extending down the pipe for about 6 to 8 inches while the timing is retarded . Speed up the motor so that the ATD advances and the flame retreats back up the pipe into the combustion chamber . This is normal for our motors .
As for carb float bowls getting hot this is normally never a problem with a constant draft of air and vaporized fuel fumes , a basic form of refrigeration as long as the motor is running , the bowl rarely gets but warm being near full of gas sloshing around .
If one feels the carburetor is prone to running warm simply fit a fiber heat resisting manifold block between the carb flange and the inlet manifold . And never polish your intake manifolds over their outer surface or chrome them as this WILL cause the carbs to run really hot . Done it , take my word for it . Sid .