Mahindra's New Goldstar 650

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
. . . . except that the fanatics are on the imperial front , trying desperately to save their obsolete ridiculous British thread standards. I´d see me quite liberal and in no way slave to any original constraints that may be seen dealing with mass produced technical contraptions. We don´t deal with Rubens or Van Gogh one-offs at all . . . .

Vic

kerry

VOC Member
Back to the new Goldstar, poor comparison in my opinion to compare a new 650cc with a 1950's 500 DBD, why not compare with the 1960's 650cc RGS, if they did this the RGS would win hands down in my book, easy to start, who needs a key when mine has never in 7 years failed to start first or second prod, very much lighter, better investment hopefully with no depreciation if bought sensibly from a private buyer, I wish it well but I see no reason to change my RGS for such a heavy so called 'Goldie'

vibrac

VOC Member
I can believe a gold star frame would improve the pre unit BSA engine I hated my BSA super rocket even though it does have proper appropriate fasteners and with all the 60 odd bikes I have owned there are only two in that category (the other being an Ariel Arrow)

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Back to the new Goldstar, poor comparison in my opinion to compare a new 650cc with a 1950's 500 DBD, why not compare with the 1960's 650cc RGS, if they did this the RGS would win hands down in my book, easy to start, who needs a key when mine has never in 7 years failed to start first or second prod, very much lighter, better investment hopefully with no depreciation if bought sensibly from a private buyer, I wish it well but I see no reason to change my RGS for such a heavy so called 'Goldie'
I have pretty nice 1963 West Coast Super Rocket. The West Coast HHC engine is what was used for all factory Rocket Goldstars.
It also has the std gearbox which is a big plus vs the factory Rocket Goldstar RRT2 box.
It's a nice old bike but it gets a bit buzzy above 60 mph. I tried upping the gearing but that killed the little bit of power it has.

So I would hope this new 650 single would have a bit more pep than my Super Rocket and I'm sure it would be much smoother. Other advantages for the new bike would be better braking, 5 speed gearbox, and hopefully no oil leaks. Also electric start, fuel gauge, abs, electronic ignition and fuel injection, all nice to have if you just want to ride and not wrench.

Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I can believe a gold star frame would improve the pre unit BSA engine I hated my BSA super rocket even though it does have proper appropriate fasteners and with all the 60 odd bikes I have owned there are only two in that category (the other being an Aerial arrow)
Eddie Dow used Goldstar frames with the kink whereas BSA just used the regular twin frame and fitted Goldie wheels, tank, seat etc.
That's why the replicas are so easy to do.
I don't find the Super Rocket handling to be bad at all. It was a bit shakey with the hard old square tires on there but some new soft Avon Roadriders fixed that.

Glen

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
BSA just used the regular twin frame and fitted Goldie wheels, tank, seat etc.
That's why the replicas are so easy to do.
Not quite. Although BSA used twin frames, they were stamped with a GA10 prefix (which easily could be stamped by a forger on a non-RGS frame), but they had four forged lugs for the front engine mounts, whereas ordinary A10 frames had two forged and two welded lugs. Those forged lugs would require a lot more effort to fake, as can be seen on the two types of lugs on early and late Gold Star frames.

FrameLugs.jpg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Right, but the factory RGS had the same frame geometry as the SR, no magic Goldstar handling included.
I'm not sure that the Dow Bikes with their Goldstar frames were actually any better for handling, but they are fewer in number and tend to get the collectors very excited.