Misc: Ignition Lucas KVF Magneto on a Rapide with manual adv./ret.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The SR2 can be modified to run a V-twin I'm sure but one option would be to fit a Joe Hunt coil which doesn't use an internal distributor like the SR2 but brings both ends of the coil out to two leads and fires both plugs together (dead spark)
By the way an SR won't fit under the mag cowl I understand.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Nor will a Scintilla as I've run my rap since 1970 with out a mag cowl, mag cost me £15 from Roger Slater. It's done over 200k with out trouble then another 100k as a contact breaker but now shelved as I can't find contact breaker points , any one know where I can find them ?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Really ? These are 4 or 6 cyl. aircraft mags - huge . Not what is needed for Vincents I think.

Vic
Your response is puzzling..he doesn’t want the whole flipping mag..he just wants points..and they do sell points, which might be fit for purpose..or they might be able to get him points seeing as how they have lots of parts for Scintilla Mags..
Please, think before you hit “post”

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It does possibly suggest that a visit to an aircraft mag repair shop could give a clue for new points. Also, Marcus, have you asked Dave Lindsley about Scintilla points?

Last edited by a moderator:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Also you could try Mallory in the US, as they used to supply a mag, which was almost identical to the earlier Scintilla, but with external coil pack.

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
I certainly did NOT mean to get an aircraft mag for the Vincent. BUT all that I see in this link does not seem fit into small Scintillas as used on bikes. It would actually amaze me if anything from aviation would be useful here. But yes, maybe the company got an idea about spares for small mags from elsewhere. Maybe get a Lucas SR2 or Bosch MZ post war mag ? Don´t know about ATD in these , at breaker end or in drive gear in the Lucas ?

Vic

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Thank you gents for the info Dave Lindsley got rid of his stash to Patric Godet He sent me a picture of it, very comprehensive and still trying to purchase.