Misc: Ignition Lucas KVF Magneto on a Rapide with manual adv./ret.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I cannot see anything on those sheets about a manual advance/ retard, the ones I know of have a points plate that will rotate and is operated via a link to a shaft that comes out where the spring cut out/terminal is in fig2, the outer end of which has an arm on it for the cable end.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I didn’t read closely and thought that the angled fitting on the side in Fig 5 was the manual advance cable fitting, not the HT lead.

I’ ll look in another spot.

Edit: no luck, I’m beginning to think maybe I mistook the same thing when I saw the SR2 pic 40 years ago.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
When thinking about troubles to find new c.b. sets for the obsolete Scintilla I´d rather have them overhauled. Don´t know how these look - any photos? - but I can imagine a goldsmith or a guy in a toolroom with laser welder could do this in short time when you supply him with a few tungsten contacts .
I had a look into the Bosch MZ rotating mag from early 50ties, in this case a twin mag with slip ring distributer. It is only manual a/r for industrial engines, never used much on bikes. It is a sad fact that when they came up with the perfect kind of mags during WW 2 they stopped production soon afterwards. Just all post war BMW twins kept their great mags up to 1970 when the /5 Series was ready . So my guess this Bosch is much like the Scintilla -and almost as rare to find. I would not want to keep the manual a/r but can see a way to do an ATD on the breaker end, not in the drive gear like the Lucas B.S. . They would not fit under the mag cowl, nor does the smaller Magneti Marelli as used on all real post war Falcones , with their ATD on breaker end. Not quite as powerful as the Bosch MZ but perfectly practical with rotating magnet. They can be had anytime , all spares available, but just for singles. So a Comet owner may be willing to get one - if he does not care about hiding it under the cowl.

Vic
Short clip at Youtube Bosch MZ finger test:
Bosch MZ mag

P1100204.JPG

P1100201.JPG

P1100209.JPG

Last edited: