Misc: Ignition LUCAS KVF identification

Joe

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Could anybody determine if this Lucas KVF GM1 Magneto ordering Number 42134D has the better oil-seal and drive side bearing which according to Richardson (page 126 at the bottom) was introduced in 1953?

If it was the older version, could it be modified? How?

Another question is what acceptaple secondary winding resistance should there still be for sufficient sparks?
I am measuring 3,4kOhm while newly wound BTH and Bosch show about double.
When tickling the primary winding with a 6 V Battery I see and hear very good spark on both plugs but when kickstarting the Twin there are no sparks visible.

Thanks Joe

Attachments

• 0_mein Lucas_Rapid_+Lucas-Docu.jpg
    0_mein Lucas_Rapid_+Lucas-Docu.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210925_131624.jpg
    20210925_131624.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211025_173212.jpg
    20211025_173212.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 19

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a 42134D housing and it has the smaller bearing. It looks as though there is enough meat to machine out the bearing housing to accommodate the 18 mm bearing, but the area where the larger seal would fit is on the thin side and might not support the seal as well. The 18mm bearing won’t fit on your armature without a sleeve. You could search for a newer housing and armature, but if it were mine, I’d just rebuild what is already there…. unless you’re going to be thrashing it. There are others here with much more magneto experience, so they may shed more light (or different light) on the subject. Boring out the bearing housing isn’t rocket science, but a little tricky.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
Hi,

Could anybody determine if this Lucas KVF GM1 Magneto ordering Number 42134D has the better oil-seal and drive side bearing which according to Richardson (page 126 at the bottom) was introduced in 1953?

Another question is what acceptaple secondary winding resistance should there still be for sufficient sparks?
When tickling the primary winding with a 6 V Battery I see and hear very good spark on both plugs but when kickstarting the Twin there are no sparks visible.

Thanks Joe
Lack of sparks could be the windings breaking down, loose connection inside or condenser no working, dirty or wrong points gap, my money would be on the condenser, if the windings have the correct resistance, would remove the internal condenser check connections and replace with a bright spark one on the points., cheap enough?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Joe, I've answered your question on the other forum:

LoneStar

VOC Member
Hi,

Thanks Joe

KVF models 42134A through D use the smaller drive-end bearing, 189291. Only the last version produced, 42134F, takes the larger 189244 bearing.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Joe, I've answered your question on the other forum:

As the question was asked here on this forum then why post the answer elsewhere? It breaks up the discussion, especially if somebody is searching the same question in the future.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
As the question was asked here on this forum then why post the answer elsewhere? It breaks up the discussion, especially if somebody is searching the same question in the future.
Unfortunately, in light of non-assurances from the Executive Committee, I have my doubts about the continued existence of this forum. Since all it would take is a simple assurance and removal of the Club Express forum module, I'm afraid my doubts aren't without reason. Also this uncertainty should have, and could have, been resolved long ago, but perhaps it will be in the May 13th general meeting. Unfortunately, agenda item 4 for that meeting says "current status." We can see for ourselves it currently exists -- it's the future status that needs resolution. However, perhaps it's just that agenda item 4 was as inaptly written as were 2 and 3.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Unfortunately, in light of non-assurances from the Executive Committee, I have my doubts about the continued existence of this forum. Since all it would take is a simple assurance and removal of the Club Express forum module, I'm afraid my doubts aren't without reason. Also this uncertainty should have, and could have, been resolved long ago, but perhaps it will be in the May 13th general meeting. Unfortunately, agenda item 4 for that meeting says "current status." We can see for ourselves it currently exists -- it's the future status that needs resolution. However, perhaps it's just that agenda item 4 was as inaptly written as were 2 and 3.
I thought the purpose of this specific forum area (tech advice series B & C) was to be helpful to fellow owners by answering technical questions. So a copy posted here of your technical answer on magneto winding resistance which you posted elsewhere and to which Joe and others may not have access would be helpful.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I liken it to coastal erosion, it would probably not be prudent to put to much time and effort into a property that is close to coastal erosion, its future is not guaranteed, it could survive for many years to come, on the other hand there could be a god almighty storm on any given day, randomly it could be on May 13th 2023, and your valuable property, with all your possessions could be swept away, far better to put all your time and effort into a property that is unlikely to suffer this fate. Obviously I would hope that no ones property slips into the sea.....

Last edited: